PDA

View Full Version : Help....red blood parrot!!!

jchau
07-19-2006, 07:05 AM
I recently added two new fish into the tank last week, so i put the ich killer to make sure that they are fine. however, for the past couple days I noticed that my blood parrot start scratching or rubbing their body against tank decorations. It seems like they are either sick or got bacteria, but they are still moving well and eating well when i feed them. Can anyone tell me what happen to my fish and what should I do now? Should I change water or should i just put either melafix or pimafix???? Help!!!!

Felisha
07-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but when fish scratch themselves, it's usually the first symptom of some kind of disease. Maybe some kind of internal parasite? What are your water parameters? Was there a recent temp flux?

William
07-24-2006, 04:06 AM
depends. As felisha days, What are your water parameters?
Most importantly ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels.

jchau
07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
My tank is a 40 gallon tank and the water parameters is around 80 to 82. However, I amnot sure about the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. I change about 15% water recently, but they are still scratching themselves.

William
07-25-2006, 03:35 AM
I recommend that you check the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. Your LFS should be able to do it for you if you bring them some water if you don't have any test kits of your own.

I say that one of those values are the most likely problem if you don't se any other signs of disease.

jchau
07-26-2006, 05:52 AM
If they do have some kind of internal parasite, then what should I do to make them disappear? Should I put salt into the water or what else should I do?

William
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I would say that the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are a much more likely culprit for your problem than internal parasites as this point. However adding sme aquarium salt to the water (1 tablespoon/5 gallon of water) could help if it is parasites but commercial medicines for the parasite is better.

the bad new is that internal parasites are often hard to treat, the good news are that i don't think it sounds like internal parasites.