PDA

View Full Version : Amano Shrimp Climbing Out?

Knightia
12-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I picked up some amano shrimp from the LFS tonight. I've been wanting to try them in my big tank for ages but they were out of stock last time. This time they had loads so I picked up 12. When drip acclimating them a few of them were determined to climb out of the bucket! Thankfully they only made it a few inches before plopping back into the water.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/starstriders/IMG_8907_zpscf64842a.jpg (http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/starstriders/media/IMG_8907_zpscf64842a.jpg.html)

I wonder why? It was only three or four of them doing this. I wondered if the water acclimation was upsetting them (very slow drip acclimation over the course of an hour). The water parameters are 0, 0, <10. pH is 7.0. Water is moderately hard. I'm pretty sure this water is ok for amanos so I don't think it's that.

I've since Googled it and there are quite a few reports of amanos just climbing out of tanks and drying up on the floor :eek: I hope mine stay in the tank! (apart from that they look fantastic) Have a bought kamakaze shrimp? :lol:

Slaphppy7
12-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Wow, I have no idea why they were trying to escape, either!...maybe they are just eager to be in their new home, lol

Knightia
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Managed to get a snap of one of them in the tank :smile:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/starstriders/38_zpsb9390c8e.jpg (http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/starstriders/media/38_zpsb9390c8e.jpg.html)

Let's hope they stay there.

madagascariensis
12-18-2013, 11:30 PM
maybe they are having the same problem as the your tetras that I remember when you got them a while ago and put them in the orange bucket, they all tried jumping out.
an acclimation bucket should really be dark as possible and covered from above to lessen the stress on whatever is in it.
Oh well, they seem to be doing well in their new home.

Knightia
12-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah - I've learnt from that experience and the bucket was covered with a towel (both over the top and around the outside to make it as dark as possible. I only peeked in to check them and they were climbing.

I'll be checking the floorboards tomorrow for "crunchies" (something I read on another forum!) :lol: :cry: :eek:

gronlaura
12-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Do you have a glass top on your tank? I will be stocking Amanos in my first 29 gal.

Knightia
12-19-2013, 12:02 AM
It's not open topped. It has lid flaps (pretty classic on Juwel tanks) which fit snuggly all around, except for the back corners to allow for pipework and wires. They could get out if they really wanted to. I'll monitor them and see how they get on.

gronlaura
12-19-2013, 01:14 AM
For my dual 29 gals, in the corner where the intake and outflow tubes will be, I am going to use large rubber washers from the plumbing dept at Ace Hardware. I will enlarge the circle in the center of the washer and fit it around each tube, having the washer rest on the top of the glass top, covering the opening where the tubes are. I think this will work (I hope this will work).

SueD
12-19-2013, 01:30 AM
I have amanos in three tanks and have never had them try to climb out. The tanks have tops but there are gaps in the back. I might find them on a prefilter munching on goodies that collect there but that's as far as they've gone.

Soot
12-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Mine have never left the waterline.
They are quite hardy though - I thought I'd lost one during a tank transfer and found it a couple minutes later on the carpet where it had fallen out. Thought it was dead but then it twitched so I chucked it in the tank and it was absolutely fine and has been fine ever since lol

sheamurai
12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I've had one climb out. I don't really think they are trying to escape your tank per se, i theorize that it was likely being chased.
My other theory is that its a natural urge every once in while to try and spread to a new habitat...they don't know of course, that there's no where to go once they make it out of the tank. Same with snails - I've found a snail wedged into the light fixture - or rather, I found a hollow snail shell.

Slaphppy7
12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Since firefly has started this thread, I have been reading about and researching Amanos...they seem to be very interesting shrimp, I wonder if I could possibly keep a few in my 40 gallon tank, and if they would be ok with what I have stocked in it (see sig)

sheamurai
12-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't be ascared to add them to any tank that didn't have anything big enough to eat them.
I don't know some of your species, but a fish will generally eat anything it can fit into its mouth...I would try a couple larger ones as a test, before fully stocking them.

Slaphppy7
12-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks sheamurai, I need to edit my sig...the tanks already has some RCS in there, and my fish don't bother them one bit...only drawback is I would have to have Amnos shipped, my LFS and the local box stores don't sell them..

I like the fact that they get a bit larger and are more active than the RCS, from what I have read... but don't get me wrong, I love my RCS too, neat little shrimp

gronlaura
12-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks sheamurai, I need to edit my sig...the tanks already has some RCS in there, and my fish don't bother them one bit...only drawback is I would have to have Amnos shipped, my LFS and the local box stores don't sell them..

I like the fact that they get a bit larger and are more active than the RCS, from what I have read... but don't get me wrong, I love my RCS too, neat little shrimp

Here is a link to Invertebrates by Msjinkzd - http://msjinkzd.com/about_msjinkzd/. Email her your stocking list and she will tell you if amanos are okay with your fish. You can also order them from her.

Slaphppy7
12-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Thank you very much for that, Laura...heading to that site now!

Stlouisfish
12-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I have 4 amanos in my 46gal - they are food bullies (meaning they have dibs on anything put into the tank) and make themselves at home anywhere in the tank they want LOL.

None of my fish bother them.

As for climbing out of my tank - never had that problem - they travel to the surface often but never had any issues there.

gronlaura
12-19-2013, 08:17 PM
I have 4 amanos in my 46gal - they are food bullies (meaning they have dibs on anything put into the tank) and make themselves at home anywhere in the tank they want LOL.

None of my fish bother them.

As for climbing out of my tank - never had that problem - they travel to the surface often but never had any issues there.

How do you feed your cories? Do they have any problem getting to their food? I will have 16 amanos and 10 peppered cories in my first 29 gal.

Slaphppy7
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Dang, Msjinkzd shows none on her stock availability list, I e-mailed her but haven't heard back...

gronlaura
12-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Her stock changes weekly. She took a couple of days to get back to me. She asdvised that my stocking was okay with amanos, but I decided to do an amano/peppered cory tank just to be dure they are safe.

Fishkeeper
12-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll warn you, amanos can run like cockroaches when they're on land! If one gets out, grab it quick!

Knightia
12-20-2013, 03:35 PM

If you have RCS in your tank amanos will be fine. They are huge by comparison.

Slaphppy7
12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks firefly...yes I know they get quite larger than the RCS, and the coloration they eventually acquire is beautiful IMO....in the pic in post #3, that particular amano appears greenish in color, is that the lighting in the tank or is he indeed a green hue at this point?

Knightia
12-20-2013, 04:53 PM
No, they're pretty transluscent so seem to go the colour of whatever is around them. Their camouflage is pretty impressive. I can hardly find any, only one or two (and one dead one already, sadly). Although if I sit for a long time in front of the tank I eventually spot more and more. I really like them so far. Subtle, but large enough to be easy to watch in some detail.

Slaphppy7
12-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh I see....sorry for the loss of the one, hopefully it is an isolated incident....I am really interested in getting some for myself

Soot
12-21-2013, 02:52 PM
They turn bright blue when they eat some types of algae!
Unfortunately they are very good at eating it so then it's all gone and they go back to normal colour ...
I like mine - they seem super hardy and because they're big they do hold their own in a community tank, perhaps a bit better than the cherries. My amanos see no problem in entering a mass of fish arguing over a wafer, grabbing that wafer and swimming off with it. I love the way they grab food and run LOL

DeboraBremner
12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
They are amazing little creatures.....now I want some....bad!!! :fish: