PDA

View Full Version : Snail ID help needed

markbob
11-05-2007, 12:30 AM
I was pruning the plants in my tank today and discovered this guy. Does anyone know what kind of snail he is and if he will just eat the alge or are my plants in danger?

msjinkzd
11-05-2007, 01:02 AM
looks like a common pond snail, they are hemaproditic and will eat algae and dead leaves, but not usually healthy plants. Lots of people will tell you they are going to explode in population and become a pest, but I actually introduce them intentionally into my tanks to help with algae. As long as their food supply is limited (no overfeeding the tank, good maintenance routine) its unlikely they will cause you any problem at all. hope this helps.

markbob
11-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Okay, he can live for now as I have a little alge on the leaves and the tips of my vals have some decay for him to munch on. I start to see plant damage from him though and down the drain he goes.

TowBoater
11-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Kinda looks like a mix of an apple snail and a MTS but I know it isn't possible. Apple snails are your best bet because they won't reproduce if you only have one.

markbob
11-05-2007, 01:50 AM
IDK, I've had the plants for about two weeks and I only just noticed him. either he hides really well or he only recently hatched.

TowBoater
11-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Probably hides well seeing as he is so small.

CAF
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
He most likely hatched just prior to the plants shipping judging from size. Yes that is most definately the common pond snail. As long as there is food they will not munch on plants...

Azear
11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
this is definitely not an apple snail mix with a MTS... this is probably from the physa family...

here's a link you might want to check to compare with yours...
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php#Physidae

tho without having this little guy in hand, I can't tell you exactly what it is...

TowBoater
11-06-2007, 12:01 AM
this is definitely not an apple snail mix with a MTS... this is probably from the physa family...

here's a link you might want to check to compare with yours...
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php#Physidae

tho without having this little guy in hand, I can't tell you exactly what it is...

I know it isn't a mix, I was joking, you can read it again and it says I know it isn't possible.

Azear
11-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I know it isn't a mix, I was joking, you can read it again and it says I know it isn't possible.

I know, I was kidding you ;P didn't tought you would take it like that... so, I'm sorry if I offended you Kuli... didn't mean to.

Still, it would be funny to see a MTS and AS mix :P lol

TowBoater
11-06-2007, 03:31 AM
Sorry, didn't see any smilies so I thought you took it seriously when I was kidding LOL, sorry about that.:22: