PDA

View Full Version : Apisto Hongslei

Spyder
11-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Here are a few pics of my new Apistogramma Hongslei. The pics are poor but I think they show the magnificence of the fish. They are set up in a 20g long at 78 degrees and a pH of 5.5, I hope to breed them so they are staying in a species tank. I just can't get over them.

Hope you enjoy the poor quality pics

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I like the first pic. Its got that little flare of red on both sides.

5.5? How do you keep the pH that low?

Spyder
11-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I use 1/2 tap water and 1/2 RO water plus I have peat in the filter and Driftwood. My tap water is very soft to begin with, KH = 2 GH = 6.
I wish that first pic came out clear, it would have been amazing.

Fishalicious
11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Ahhhhhhh someone with my fave fish :18: :18:

I am so in love with Apistogramma's - they are amazing - Hongsloi's are beautiful and you shouldn't have too much trouble breeding them at all... just feed them well and the rest will take care of itself...

Have you got some caves etc. set up for them?

Edit: I just took another look at the foto's (can't get enough of Apisto's) and thought - 'hey Hongloi's don't have red in their tail fins..???' I believe looking closer at them that they are Apistogramma Macmasteri - just as beautiful if not even more ;) ;) They don't need that low a PH though.... check out foto's online - it is difficult to tell from these pics plus they won't show their proper colors til settled - let us know xxxxxx

~Erik3.8.07~
11-04-2007, 11:42 PM
they look beautiful, i love how apistos look, congrats!!!

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh My. They are just lovely. Apistos are also on my favorites list of those I want to get and I just happen to have an empty 29 gallon. Hummmm

squirt_12
11-05-2007, 12:05 AM
very nice...they are very colourful......good luck witht he breed.:thumb:

digger
11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
you have some very nice fish

Lady Hobbs
11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Spyder......do these cichlids like plants for hiding or rocks. Sand or gravel?

Spyder
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Plants are great for them. Java Fern and moss is what I'm using now. You need to have caves for the female to claim a territory. She needs to be able to hide from the male. As far as substrate, a very fine pea gravel or sand works well. You don't need much, just enough to cover the bottom.

Incredulous_Ed
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
very nice looking fish!

Fishalicious
11-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Michael have you checked on it yet... I am pretty sure they are Macmasteri and not Hongsloi...

They do prefer sand...they sift through the sand with their mouths looking for food and let it out via their side gils again... so funny to see the sand go in and come out again via the side ;)

Spyder
11-06-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm checking into it. Mine are small, less than an inch but I have some knowledgable people checking it out. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Spyder
11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Fishalicious, good call on my fish, a bit disappointing though. He is deffinately not a Hongslio, he is either a Macmasteri or a Hoignei. A few people a apistogramma.com are trying to give me a possitive ID. I'm leaning towards Macmasteri my self. I'm dissapointed he is not what I ordered, but not dissapointed in him, he is one outstanding, beautiful fish. Dave Soures sent mt two more pairs marked Hongslio, they are too small to ID but I'm wondering what I got with them???

Lucky for me Dave Soures is coming to Connecticut next week to speak at one of out local fish clubs so I'll get a chance to question him on this.

Thanks again, great call.

Fishalicious
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
No probs... dwarfcichlids are my big love...:malelovies: :malelovies:

I have had nearly every type there is and bred with them all - at the moment I also have a Macmasteri harem they are really beautiful and I have been very impressed with them so far.

I would lean towards Macmasteri as well as you don't see the Hoignei that often and the face markings are also different.

It is amazing how often the LFS get it wrong LOL Many times at the LFS I will see dwarfcichlids marked as a kind when it is a totally different one...

You will enjoy them... I am sure of that xxxxxx

Spyder
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The funny thing is that I didn't get them from a LFS. I got them from one of the best know breeders in the world, Dave Soures, a,k,a, ApistoDave on aquabid. I didn't even go through aquabid, I contacted him personally. Mike Wise, another Apisto expert says "even the best breeders make mistakes".

Lady Hobbs
11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
If he is uncertain himself on the species, he will probably appreciate knowing that possibly he has errored himself since he breeds them. Either way, they are lovely.

Good call Fishalicious.

It looks like this one to me. Same black line down the center, red tail and markings.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Apistogramma_macmasteri.php

Spyder
11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I finally got a positive ID. Last night the Norwalk Aquarium Society had their monthly club meeting. The guest speaker was Dave Soures. I spoke with him and he confirmed the fish to be a brand new color strain of Apistogramma Viejita. He said that I am the first to get some from him however, he brought 100 bags of Apistos to auction off at the meeting which included 10 bags of this new viejita. BTW, I bought 6 Borelli and a pair of Trifaciata for $12.00.

Lady Hobbs
11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Good deal. Glad you got your ID.

Fishalicious
11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow a fantastic deal... borrelli's are so easy going they are lovely... are they the opal variety?

I love the Trifaciata also but in my experience they are one of the more aggressive ones...

I am really tickled now about the viejita - have you got any better pics? :18: :18: Seeing the viejita is already as good as impossible to get (often labeled viejita but usually hongsloi) I would love to see the color variation... :19:

Are you going to be keeping them all in one tank?? I hope you are ready for world war 3 :hmm3grin2orange:

Spyder
11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Jess, each species are in their own tank. Once I get a breeding pair I plan on removing the others so I will have one breeding pair per tank.

I am still not positive this is a Viejita. Mike Wise on Apistogramma.com still wants more pics to try and ID. I have trouble getting good pics for 2 reasons, first because I suck at photography and second because I have very low lighting in the tank and the camera has trouble focusing. I tried adding light and the fish go in hiding. I'll try again and see if I can get something better.

Fishalicious
11-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Mike Wise sounds like a guy after my heart :malelovies: Pretty please post the piccies here also or mail me them... I am so curious (am bursting here) myself to identify them or see this new color variation xxxxx

My money is on the Borrelli's as the first with a nest ;) Are they the Opals?

I am so excited about it all... in case you couldn't tell :ezpi_wink1: