PDA

View Full Version : Nano - shrimp house

arathemis
12-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I`m presenting you with my midget tank: a nano aquael 30 cm x 30 cm x 35 cm, started 5 days ago. (about 7 gallons)

Lighting 11 W 6500K.
Substrate Shirakura Red Bee Sand.
Filtering: Aquael Mini Pat with sponge (I exchanged the stock sponge with a larger one for bigger filtration area).
Fertilization: Half the dose recomended for this volume every 2 days (so practicly 1/4 of the recomended dose) with feropol 24 and feropol.

Plants:

Java moss
Flame moss
Christmas moss
Didiplis Diandra
Anubias Nana Petite.

Population: for now only hitchhiking snails that came with the plants. I will put in at some point 1-2 assassin snails if they get too many. Shrimps will go in in about 3 weeks (1 Caridina and 1 neocaridina species - not sure which ones yet), after the cycling is done (which is being made with bicarbonate of ammonia). I also squeezed one of the filtering sponges from my larger tank in the nano tank.

PH-ul at the moment is between 6.2-6.4.

And now the pictures:

Portions of the Java Moss (on the rock) and Flame moss (on the wood) got brownish parts, although I see small green buds on the Java moss. Do you think there`s a problem with the mosses changing color? They were all green when put in the tank.

ScottishFish
12-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice tank, it will be nice when the cyclings finished and the shrimp are in. Keep us updated :ssmile:

Knightia
12-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Looks very promising. See if you can do something to hid the filter a bit better, and maybe add a background?

arathemis
12-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I don`t want to add a background, as the tank is on a bar-like table. So i have access from behind as well. I`m expecting that the moss will hide the filter later on (in a few months).

Do you think the browning of the moss is a problem? See the Java moss and the Flame moss.

Knightia
12-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Ah right ok - can we have a full tank shot from the front then?

What's your temperature? Moss can go brown when it is too warm for it (in my experience). Some initial browning is to be expected when you first put it in the tank though so I wouldn't worry too much.

arathemis
12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
That is the front in the pictures. From the back I check the heater and the didiplis plants. :). I can also see the side when i`m going around the bar. I hope you understand the position of the tank in the room.

The temperature is 23-24 degrees Celsius.

Knightia
12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Ah right ok.

Fishkeeper
12-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Nice! I'm not sure if you'd be open to this idea, but to me that tank just begs for a single sparkling gourami. Look them up... Gorgeous little things. They get maybe an inch long, so I don't think they'd bother the shrimp.

arathemis
12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Don`t think that I`ll put any fish. Any extra mess will be bad, as I will not be able to properly vacuum the substrate with all the shrimps/shrimplets in the tank. I will even use a small tray to feed the shrimp which I`ll vacuum after dinner :).

DeboraBremner
12-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Love the little tank! Makes me want one!! :18:

Soot
12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Nano tank journals make me mad jelly ... I keep eyeing up the space on my desk, wondering if I could hide one and pretend its another computer monitor screensaver or if husband might notice, EEK!