PDA

View Full Version : Slate Bottom Brackish?

CinderSmoke
12-06-2013, 02:59 AM
I have a 55 gallon Metaframe aquarium with a slate bottom. Would this be ok to use with brackish water? I have a Green Spotted Puffer Fish that I would LOVE to move into this bigger tank, but am not sure of the slates reaction with the salt.

Any advice is welcome!

Fishkeeper
12-06-2013, 03:11 AM
You're gonna have to get someone else's opinion, but I've seen slate in pure saltwater and I don't see why it would be a problem, assuming we're talking about rock.
I've never heard of a slate bottom tank... Is that a tank with actual stone for a bottom?

CinderSmoke
12-06-2013, 03:17 AM
It is a steel-framed glass aquarium with actual black slate as the bottom. From the 1960's, early 1970's.

Fishkeeper
12-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Sounds really cool! Are you planning to put some sort of substrate in or just keep the slate bare?
I still don't think it'd be a problem, but I don't have experience with those, don't take my word for it.

CinderSmoke
12-06-2013, 03:26 AM
I'd use sand as a substrate. And yes, the aquarium is very cool. I was lucky and got it with the original stand in trade for a table and two bar stools.

Taurus
12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Haven't seen a slate bottom tank in a while, very cool. I would test the seal all the way around to make sure there are no leaks. Might even be a good time to replace it.

ScottishFish
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Ive seen people using slate bottoms for freshwater and brackish. However not the actual base made of slate, more like slate tiles covering a glass base. Either way as long as the seal holds you should be golden!

Scrup
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I have slate in a brackish tank, no issues.

The steel however? You might be in for a rusty surprise. Salt creep still happens with brackish, and I have rusted out a wrench and a screwdriver leaving them on the top of the tank for a few weeks.