PDA

View Full Version : Osmocote Root Tabs for Amazon Sword

punkhazard
12-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

Recently bought a small Amazon sword and put it n my tank, I read that they grow better with root tabs so I was looking at Osmocote which seems to be really cost effective:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osmocote-Fertilizer-Root-Tabs-for-Live-Aquarium-Plants-Size-00-/181243120007

Anyone have any experience with the above? Can buy like 75 for half the cost of API/Fluorite and was wondering if anyone could offer advice.

Also, for the root tabs do I just put them under the Amazon sword? How many tabs should I use?

Thanks

genocidex
12-02-2013, 01:39 AM
1 tab around the plant every month or 2. With those its kinda hard to tell how often its kinda as you think it needs it.

punkhazard
12-02-2013, 03:00 AM
okay great, when you say 'around' you mean buried close to right? Should I just bury it right under the plant?

Stlouisfish
12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I use root tabs but not that brand - usually the package tells you how to place them in the tank and how often.

Mine say to put them within 6 in of the plant every 3 mos - not directly under the plant. You bury them under the substrate - I scatter mine around the tank in proximity to the plants - just push them under the gravel.

genocidex
12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Around 6 inches is the standard. I wouldnt bury them too close as you can damage the root system. Its to note that this are diy tabs, also bury them good so peices of the caps dont float up.

On the other hand if you find your self wanting a higher quality tab for cheap, get some dry ferts and natural clay. Makes the best tabs imo, ive used both with same or better results than seachem

reef12
03-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Around 6 inches is the standard. I wouldnt bury them too close as you can damage the root system. Its to note that this are diy tabs, also bury them good so peices of the caps dont float up.

On the other hand if you find your self wanting a higher quality tab for cheap, get some dry ferts and natural clay. Makes the best tabs imo, ive used both with same or better results than seachem

+1. I agree but I use Osmocote+ now cheaper.

Jeff

korith
03-28-2014, 02:13 AM
I use osmocote tablets as well. Works well and cost effective. For amazons swords, root tabs are very important, they are heavy root feeders. My tanks are heavily planted, so I tend to evenly spread the tablets out every 5" or so. Probably add in more every month or so. Think the longer people stay in the hobby, the more ways we find ways to do it cheaper.