PDA

View Full Version : hey. I'm new.Need advice

silverneon
12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey people

Just joined

I have a 4 foot Juwel tank and it has one of those inbuilt filters down the side. I've had the tank a week and the filter was silent. Today i put silver sand so that plants could root better and for aesthetics.However, the filter has now started to make a vibrating noise! I cleaned it out and the sponges were full off sand. It's still making the noise after i cleaned the sponges. Should this happen to a filter? I've only had the tank a week! Any help would be really appreciated. The noise is driving me nuts!

Thanks

Kieron

William
12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Welcome to AC. Hopefully you will find it a good place to both learn and have fun.

steeler58
12-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Always glad to see new people, welcome aboard.

talldutchie
12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Hey people

Just joined

I have a 4 foot Juwel tank and it has one of those inbuilt filters down the side. I've had the tank a week and the filter was silent. Today i put silver sand so that plants could root better and for aesthetics.However, the filter has now started to make a vibrating noise! I cleaned it out and the sponges were full off sand. It's still making the noise after i cleaned the sponges. Should this happen to a filter? I've only had the tank a week! Any help would be really appreciated. The noise is driving me nuts!

Thanks

Kieron

Go easy on the sponge cleaning, gentle squeeze in tank water. Only the floss needs frequent changing.

Juwel filters are noisy either because the lid isn't on properly or because the impeller got dirty. Stop the motor, take it out and clean the impeller.

silverneon
12-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm worried the sand has damaged the filter/ it was silent before that. I havn't tried cleaning the impeller.Not sure where that is. I'll have a look and clean it. Thanks so much

Knightia
12-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Sometimes the wire coming from the filter motor can vibrate and make an incredibly loud noise. Make sure it is fixed, resting inside the intake pipe properly and, as talldutchie says, that the lid is on properly. I find a few checks and a few waggles of the wire shuts mine up.

talldutchie
12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Always know how to get to an impeller
http://www.swelluk.com/pdfs/Pumpe_400_1500.pdf
should help

silverneon
12-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Thank you so much for your help guys. I've just checked the impeller and it seems fine. The wires are fine too.I've only put sand in today and this problem has started! I'm thinking the sand has somehow got into the filtration system. I read on the net that sand can scratch the internal system and damage it, which would explain the noise, IF that is the case. Really hope it's not. Otherwise i'll have to spend some money, but in addition to that, there's the issue of the damn ugly thing being fixed into the tank.So, would have to find a way to remove it. I'll have to wait and see if whilst i'm dreaming the noise has gone,when i wake up, and everything is okay again.

talldutchie
12-02-2013, 06:07 AM
If you don't like the way it looks remove it and buy an eheim 2215 or 2217 or a jbl 901.

gadget228
12-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Stlouisfish
12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!