PDA

View Full Version : Snails?

Lp11
11-28-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought I'd try my hand at some live plants and bought a java fern and anubias nana from petsmart. Came in tubes from top fin. They claim "snail free" on the tube. The plants are so-so, they've only been planted for a week but I've seen no growth. More concerning though is that I found some tiny things walking around the gravel. I have no idea what they are. My tank has been up and running for ~4 months and have never seen these, so I'm inclined to believe they came with the plants. Does anyone know what they are? I vacuumed them up and don't see any more of them. Do I need to be concerned about what was introduced into my tank?

Btw, I found the thread on where to buy plants and will now use the sites that are recommended by users here. Thanks everyone!

jeffs99dime
11-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Can you post pics? You will not see growth of your Java and Anubias in a week. Just because they say "snail free" doesn't mean snail free. Unfortunately, a lot of pet stores especially corporations like that will mis-represent things and tell you whatever they want to make a sale . We need pics to see what it is you are talking about so we can try to help you.

talldutchie
11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
To be fair, whatever that came on those plants doesn't sound like snails. :)

Most small critters that can hitch hike on a plant are quickly fishfood.

Lp11
11-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Thanks, that's a relief. I kind of panicked when I saw the critters and immediately vacuumed them up so I don't have pictures. They were just tiny almost see through things, I'd guess 1 mm in length. I haven't seen any more of them so hopefully I got all of them.

talldutchie
11-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Sounds to me like either daphnia or possibly some cyclopods. Neither would have been reason to panick.