PDA

View Full Version : Will golden nugget plecos attack twig cats?

Fishkeeper
11-27-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm researching various plecos, and I've just read that golden nugget plecos can be aggressive with similar fish. Will they attack twig cats/farowella cats? They're really gorgeous, but if they'll attack twig cats I guess I won't be getting one...

Trillianne
11-28-2013, 12:21 AM
I have a gold nugget and a rubbernose pleco in my main tank and they get along just fine. They are not sharing the same algae wafer/cave friendly, but other than defensive stance type behavior I have seen no aggression.

Provided you have enough space for each to have their own territory I'd think you'd be ok.

Fishkeeper
11-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Alright, thanks! It's a 65 gallon, so there's loads of space. If I can find a nice one, I guess I'll be adding him!

Crispy
12-02-2013, 01:59 AM
gold nuggets and all plecos in general are not aggressive fish at all. they can get a bit territorial when breeding, but rarely do they ever kill a fish.

talldutchie
12-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Not agressive? One thing my tetras learned very quickly is not to get between a hungry bristlenose and a piece of veg.

Golden nugget is Baryancistrus xanthellus ? Shouldn't be too much of an issue if there's enough place for the farowella to stick higher up in the tank.
Do read about feeding Baryancistrus properly otherwise it's a 3 month problem followed by a dead fish

Fishkeeper
12-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I know they stampede for food... I've seen the little one-inch bristlenoses at feeding time at my LFS, and everything gets outta their way!
Don't worry, I'm fully researching everything I'm thinking about. This is more my place to post and find answers that are being more elusive...
I've decided against a gold nugget, though, having read that they prefer fast water. I'm thinking maybe green dragon bristlenose...
Thanks for the help!

talldutchie
12-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Twig cats are gentle vegetarians. Have you considered an omnivore like a peckoltia? I'm sure you have but did you check planetcatfish?

Fish from Filly
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello again Fishkeeper,

In the 65 u should be ok to keep a medium pleco and twig (i had bn pleco at 6" with whiptail and headstander with no aggression issues in 55).

There are 3 types of golden nugget pleco. The L177 is best looking due to large yellow spots vs smaller spots. It stays medium at 6"max vs others like 9 or larger and is omnivore whereas others like meaty foods.

I think I already suggested queen arabesque and king tiger but really there are so many types u may just wait for a cool one to show up at lfs or have them order u one u want. I wouldn't get one that gets big, 6-8"is prob max to be comfortable in 65.

Always like sultan pleco and snowball too. Golden nugget still nicest though.

Fishkeeper
12-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Okay, thanks! I may just end up seeing which suitable pleco pops up at my LFS... A whiptail would also be really cool, or a green phantom (Maybe)... There are far too many good plecos.