PDA

View Full Version : Rain simulator

markbob
11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I've read that a lot of the Amazon river fish such as tetras and such require a rain simulation to kick off the breeding season, how do ya'll simulate rain in your tanks?

gm72
11-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I have never done this, but a simple spraybar setup hooked to a powerhead would do the trick.

Futureboy
11-05-2007, 01:42 AM
An upside down sprinkler or a shower head with some kind of powerhead attached would work

cocoa_pleco
11-05-2007, 01:46 AM
to get my black neons to breed (it works with my rainbow sharks too) is i hook up a spraybar or do a water change in the morning, afternoon, and night to simulate rain

TowBoater
11-05-2007, 02:01 AM
I figure a fountain rigged up to it would work or a very small pump out of one hooked to an airline tube with a cap on the end and holes poked in it out of the water would work.

Algenco
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
large water changes with cooler water should do the trick. I have read accounts of people playing tapes of thunderstorms and triggering camera flash to simulate lightning

CAF
11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
As it has already been said.

50% WC with 5 to 10 degree cooler water...

Josh708
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
go to petsmart and get the canister filter for turtles its called 501 something it comes with a really cool suction cup spray bar perfect for the rain look

fishnbirds
02-15-2008, 05:55 AM
well i have been making a device that would simulate rain... runs with a timer and a preprogrammed electronic device... but i stopped because it doesnt suit 90% of the aquariums... when the rain hits the water surface... water splashes... and having the canopy and lights and other stuff... the space around the aquarium also gets wet. this is not a good idea.. it would only work in specially deisgned aquariums. but i am working on a light solution and probably will include rain simulation too a bit later.

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I'd do descent water changes with cooler water and something to agitate the surface....

Futureboy
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
you could just have your water at a lower level so it doesnt splash out

ganoderma
02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
above tank bio filter? my tank uses this and it sounds and looks like constant rain....keep the water level down 5 cm and its hard to listen to someone talk lol. guess one would then jsut need to change the water a bunch so its fresh n clean :)

Asphenaz
02-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Take into consideration that I only built this in my head a few times and scratched it out on paper.

I would use the following;

- Clear PVC tubing.
- 4 x 90 degree hose barbs.
- 1 x tee hose barbs.

Cut four sections of tubing, and then attach each end to the 90's to form a rectangle that will fit inside the aquarium.

Cut one of the tubes in half, and affix the tee to one end of each. This will be the water inlet from your water source of choice.

Drill some holes on the top of your tubing, this will force the water to run down the sides of the tubing. This in theory should reduce the splashing.

Use S-shaped hangers to hold the tubing to the side of the tank. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make the whole thing float. Maybe add four Tee's with the ends pointing twards the bottom of the tank, then cap the ends and silicone on some old style round fishing floats.

YankyTexan
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
As it has been previously alluded to, I suspect what triggers the breeding is not so much a function of the rain drops hitting the water surface rather it is the resulting change after the rain. The temperature decreases and the ph more than likely changes (unsure which way it would) which ultimately triggers breeding irrespective of how that came about.

Although, the idea of designing/building an aquarium that actually has periodic simulated rain storms is interesting. Perhaps if you start with an aquarium that is on the tall side and maintain the water level at a predetermined level below the top to minimize the splashing (say 6-8"), mount several spray bars in the canopy and put the pump on a timer and you are almost there. I'll leave the thunder & lightning for someone else to figure out.

Daniel