PDA

View Full Version : I need a snail eater

zackish
11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Every week I come home I find more and more snails in my tank.
I thought that kuhli loaches eat snails but one of my friends said they probably won't. My 29 gal. is too small for a clown loach so I was wondering what else would be suitable for a 29 gallon tank to eat snails?

Thanks,
Zac

gm72
11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Hmm, something quite small. Not really sure for any suggestions on that other than loaches.

You can also reduce your snail population significantly by thoroughly vacuuming the gravel every water change. You can also place a piece of lettuce or, as I am doing, carrot, at the bottom of the tank and remove the snails that migrate to it. I am busy wiping out unwanted snails from one of my tanks in such a manner.

squirt_12
11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
i don't know if this would be too big or not but you could get a yo yo loach. THats what i used to get rid of my snail problem. It worked great.

zackish
11-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Hmm, something quite small. Not really sure for any suggestions on that other than loaches.

You can also reduce your snail population significantly by thoroughly vacuuming the gravel every water change. You can also place a piece of lettuce or, as I am doing, carrot, at the bottom of the tank and remove the snails that migrate to it. I am busy wiping out unwanted snails from one of my tanks in such a manner.

I just meant a smaller loach, I will look into the yo yo's as squirt recommended.

Squidman
12-09-2007, 01:25 AM
Yoyo loaches would be good. Mine are 2 inches and ive had them almost 2 years. It doesnt help that there in a 10gallon now. They will be moved in Janurary to a smaller tank. They can vary from 4 to 8 inches.

squirt_12
12-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Yoyo loaches would be good. Mine are 2 inches and ive had them almost 2 years. It doesnt help that there in a 10gallon now. They will be moved in Janurary to a smaller tank. They can vary from 4 to 8 inches.
to a smaller tank???? they should be moved to a larger tank.