PDA

View Full Version : High ammonia in tap water, what next?

houdini56
11-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm currently running a fishless cycle on a 40g tank (my first aquarium in many moons) in our new home with a deep well. We have hard water and have a couple of filters (for iron and some softening) on the system.

Cycling has been going along as expected. The last few days I thought maybe my ammonia had dropped to 0 but the API Freshwater test kit chart is sometimes hard for me to distinguish close numbers on....so this morning I thought, well, I'll check my tap water as a zero sample against my tank sample and that will help.

I was pretty shocked to find at least 4 ppm of ammonia in my tap water. We tested it at the well before it enters the filters and get the same reading.

After a brief run at Google it appears this level of ammonia in a well is uncommon. It also appears that there's not much we can do to remove it short of putting a (salt) softener on it which we have already decided we won't do.

So now I have to make a decision about my new tank. My thinking--which may well be in error--is that if I need to do a 25% water change every week that's 10 gallons of water I will have to buy. I'm not even sure what type of water to buy, distilled, spring, ?? I've already bought a nice Python changer and was looking forward to an "easier" way of cleaning a fish tank than what I did the last time I had a tank 20 years ago.

Feeling disappointed and frustrated. More will be reviewed, but would appreciate hearing others experiences or thoughts with tap water they can't use directly in their tanks while I mull this over. The good news is that I found this out before the tank was occupied with fish.

mommy1
11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Once the tank is cycled a dose of Prime(check the label for the correct dosage with that much ammonia) will detoxify the ammonia in your tap water long enough for the bacteria to convert it over. You will have to watch nitrates and I suggest what ever tank you are filling with this water remain lightly stocked and heavily planted.

houdini56
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
To be sure I understand what you are saying, Mommy1....Once the tank is cycled dose it with the appropriate amount of Prime....then when doing water changes from my tap also use Prime again?

Also would like to check your definition of lightly stocked. Before this new development I was planning on a school of 10 danios, 10 rasboras, half a dozen corys and half a dozen shrimp. That seems light to me for a 40 gallon but maybe it isn't. I do already have some plants in the tank and anticipate having more.

Thanks for your reply and for clarifying.

mommy1
11-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Just add the appropriate amount of Prime during each water change and do a normal size 30%-50% water change each week. I'm not sure how much Prime is appropriate for that much ammonia and I don't have the bottle here to look at. I have 1ppm ammonia in my tap water and I just add the normal dose for the volume of the tank during each water change and there are no issues.
I don't think your plan is heavily stocked. However, I think in this situation I would start with one group of fish at a time and watch the nitrates. If they stay under 20ppm between water changes add another group.

houdini56
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, that's a relief, it sounds like it's manageable after all. I was planning on adding fish slowly so that's for sure now. :thankyouyellow:

genocidex
11-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Dont forget about plants with them. I know plants like frogbit, and hornwort will help in this situation as well. Mosses will also help and just about any other plant. Im say frogbit and hornwort because they feed off the water column completely. It will help keep your chemistry in check. Those plants also dont need co2 but just a decent light

houdini56
11-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a couple of mosses coming this afternoon, but I've been hesitant about frogbit and other floaters....in part because it sounds like they grow fast and have to be "pruned" a lot, but also because I don't have a strong light situation and wondered if they would end up blocking much light. Sounds like they are worth a little more investigating, especially if they will help a good balance.