PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Question

zackish
11-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Would it be alright to drop 35 cherry shrimp into my 29 gallon community tank. I have 5 amano shrimp right now and I don't know if they would cause any problems with each other and if it was just too much for the tank in general.

squirt_12
11-04-2007, 01:36 AM
what other fish are in the tank???

do you have real plants in the tank??
hiding places???

zackish
11-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes I have a planted 29 gallon tank. Actually it's the first tank up in TOTM contest.
Also, I have a gouramis 5 rasboras and 8 cardinals and 5 albino corys.
I don't think there will be any problem I was just seeing what you guys think.

msjinkzd
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
the gourami will try to eat them, but as long as there is plenty of cover they should be alright. I dropped 10 into my 36g planted with gourami, cherry barbs, cardinals, and cories....they have survived and multiplied to the point where I pulled out about 30 of them and started an invert only tank. Good luck, I love little shrimp! You might also make sure that your filter intake is covered with something like foam or a nylon as baby shrimp get sucked into filters very easily (before I covered mine I pulled 10 shrimp out of my canister filter, alive but still).

squirt_12
11-04-2007, 05:21 PM
the gourami will try to eat them, but as long as there is plenty of cover they should be alright. I dropped 10 into my 36g planted with gourami, cherry barbs, cardinals, and cories....they have survived and multiplied to the point where I pulled out about 30 of them and started an invert only tank. Good luck, I love little shrimp! You might also make sure that your filter intake is covered with something like foam or a nylon as baby shrimp get sucked into filters very easily (before I covered mine I pulled 10 shrimp out of my canister filter, alive but still).
agree 100%

Yes i would even cover the intake withthe actually big shrimp themselves cause i have had some amano shrimp sucked up there before and sadly they did not live :(.

zackish
11-05-2007, 02:44 AM
My filter intake is really really fine, close, plastic as it is. I will think about it though. Thanks for all the help guys. Also, RCS don't need to be moved to Brackish water to lay there eggs and stuff like amanos do?

msjinkzd
11-05-2007, 02:53 AM
nope, they breed completely in fresh water. the babies are mini-versions of the adults and super cute!

zackish
11-05-2007, 03:01 AM
I may be in for a surprise then. That would be cool if my amanos and cherries cross bread. Maybe I will start up a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank haha.
Also, am I going to have to feed or supplement these guys with anything?

msjinkzd
11-05-2007, 03:49 AM
they are different species, they can't cross breed...if you have lots of plants they will graze on them, and eat left over fish food. I don't target feed them in my community tank but in my invert tank I feed them lobster bites (an invert granule) or a tiny piece of an algae wafer. Hope this helps :)