PDA

View Full Version : SA Cichlid Compatibility.

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Tank: 55g

Filtration: Penguin 350 and AC110

WC schedule: 50-70% every 6-7 days, or when I get bored in between changes.

Stock: 1 ~6" Male Green Severum and somwhere between 6 and 10 corys. They move to much, I can't count them.

My tank is looking a bit dead. I've been looking for other larger tankmates for my severum, and I did a bit of researching on Firemouths today. They stay relitivly small (6.5"), and won't be too much smaller than the severum when he is full grown.

Would I be able to add two (or one) under the existing conditions?

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I think you can LOL. Any of the smaller synodontis can as well and also I think you could get away with about any 6" or smaller cichlid except convicts.

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2007, 12:26 AM
You can probably have 3 or 4 other cichlids depend on their size, obviously. A Blue Acara, Festivum, another Severum or the Firemouth. Or some keyholes, even.

I finally got a pic of my firemouth about an hour ago. Had to take it from across the room at a high rate of speed so not that good a pic.

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 12:39 AM
I LOVE the Irredescent spots on yours fins. I am hoping, If I do end up getting a pair of the buggers, to get one with similar finnage to these ones:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/fire_fry1.jpg
Photo property of "Aquarium Fish"

I might even try getting a mate for bruce as well again.

Would my filtration be enough though?

Incredulous_Ed
11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
I would go with blue acaras. They are more peacceful. I think you could do 2 firemouths with 2 severums if you keep up the WCs.

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Yea I second what ed said. I think you have enough filtration but remember, they get aggressive when they spawn. Man you have Bruce and I have Lee.:c2:

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 01:41 AM
So, I would be able to?

Cool.

I might go browse the LFS tomorrow.

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Lol, so your like me? Just walk up and down the aisle for 2 hours looking for one fish?

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Pretty much. There is no way I could go in there, get what I want, and leave, even though I know EXACTLY where it is in the store. I have to go see the saltwater tanks, then look at all the freshwater tanks, then oggle their Show reef, then go talk to the Scarlet mcaw, then watch the ferrets, and then MAYBE I'll be ready to leave.

YaYgoldFish
11-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Lol, so your like me? Just walk up and down the aisle for 2 hours looking for one fish?

Im pretty sure everyone on this forum does that lol. I always hate leaving the pet shops lol.

If you get your firemouth try getting him big, i have a 2 inch FM in a 10g HOSPITAL tank because i tried putting him in a 25g planted with a convict and 2 kribs.

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Well his severum will probably let him be, mine did with two and a jack but mine is a big panzee.

tropfish
11-04-2007, 02:03 AM
I would go with firemouths or cons. Or you could get another severum, how aobut a gold one?. here's a pic of my male Firemouth (he's even MORE colorful now btw.

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 02:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0445.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0435.jpg

Drumachine09
11-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Meh, I'm not a big fan of convicts. I dunno why.

Tomorrow, if my wallet permits, I will see about getting a pair of firemouths and another green severum.

Nautilus291
11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Thats my problem my wallet always permits me. When I know Im going to the fish store I always take out more then what I should and then somehow I spend it all ugh. Ill go knowing what fish I want and then when I get there I look at all of them a hundred times and say well I could put this in this tank and this in this tank. And then I have to convince myself to get the fish I went there for lol.

Good luck at the fish store. btw I have a pair of convicts, I like them but I have to keep them alone because they get to aggressive when they spawn, so its probibly a good think that you dont want any.

TowBoater
11-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Here you can get all of them for 10$, 4$ each on the firemouths and 2$ for a green severum. Amazing what you can do when you have a LFS that breeds most of there fish.