PDA

View Full Version : are they dead?

Kaga's Kritters
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
if a mystery snail lets you pull him partway out of the shell without pulling back at all does that mean its dead? i think 3 of my 4 snails all died suddenly.

gem
11-03-2007, 07:54 PM
And.....we are trying to pull them out of their shells why?? Sorry...I don't really know much about snails. but I would say if they are just hanging out of their shell...possible indication that they're dead. I wouldn't try pulling on them to check though.

Kaga's Kritters
11-03-2007, 07:55 PM
they were partially hanging out and someone told me before that if they are and you pull on them a little and they dont pull back then they are dead.....just wanted to see if everyone agreed on that.

AquaQueen
11-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I dunno about snails sorry but my son has had and still does have hermit crabs and they come out of their shell when they are dead or changing shells, so I'd probably say they are dead, and if you can pull on them then I'd say yea they definitely are, they should be hiding as soon as you touch them. At least that's what I've always seen them do. Not that I have seen many snails but growing up my aunt's friend used to buy them live and she and my aunt would cook and eat them with a toothpick...they said they are a delicacy...I still think they are both gross for eating them.

msjinkzd
11-03-2007, 10:09 PM
the only way to know for sure if their dead is the sniff test, and trust me when I say you will be able to tell with that one! www.applesnail.com has lots of good info too. Alot of the time my snails will nap half hanging out of their shells (i call it hamburger face)...you could try gently probing the soft tissue and see if they react. How long have your snails been doing this? are they floating or in the bottom of the tank? How long have you had them? Apple snails are pretty hardy, I am surprised to hear you think 3 of your 4 are dead at once. Did you add any meds to the tank or new fertilizers? Is this a cycled tank?

Kaga's Kritters
11-03-2007, 10:16 PM
the tank just went through a fast cycle cause i seeded it. right after the nitrates were high for a day or two they all climbed to the top of the tank and sat there for a day then they all fell to the bottom and have just been laying there. havent moved in almost 2 days. they were very active before this.

msjinkzd
11-03-2007, 10:22 PM
apple snails are pretty sensitive to water quality. Doesn't sound too good :( I would observe them to be certain as I have had snails in the past play dead for several days and then miraculously recover. Do the sniff test each day (if they smell like shrimp shells left in the sun for a week they are dead). Good luck.

Kaga's Kritters
11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
thanks....they made it through the ammonia being alittle high for over 2 weeks with no prob, but after the nitrate spike this happened. i will keep an eye on them and keep checking them each day. thanks for the help.

Rue
11-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I would say they're dead...

I pulled 2 dead ones from my tank yesterday too...I gave them a couple of days just to make certain...but they were definately dead...no sniff-test necessary...

gm72
11-04-2007, 12:05 AM
If a snail lets go of the operculum (the "door" to the shell) it is either moving around or dead. In this case, your snails sound like they died. A snail will do just about anything to stay in its shell.

Kaga's Kritters
11-04-2007, 12:08 AM
awwww crap. i never have any luck with snails.

digger
11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
i know that problem i go through an average of 12 every month or two my fish keep eating them on me. pick up your snail out of the water if he goes back in his shell right away hes alive if not hes dead snails dont like being taken out of the water and they will try to close up real fast.

Kaga's Kritters
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
well all 4 are dead. i give up on trying to have snails. i cannot afford to waste the money buying them if they are just going to die.

msjinkzd
11-05-2007, 11:02 PM
i am very sorry to hear about your snails :(

digital3
11-06-2007, 03:44 AM
the only way to know for sure if their dead is the sniff test, and trust me when I say you will be able to tell with that one! www.applesnail.com has lots of good info too. Alot of the time my snails will nap half hanging out of their shells (i call it hamburger face)...you could try gently probing the soft tissue and see if they react. How long have your snails been doing this? are they floating or in the bottom of the tank? How long have you had them? Apple snails are pretty hardy, I am surprised to hear you think 3 of your 4 are dead at once. Did you add any meds to the tank or new fertilizers? Is this a cycled tank?

Hey msjinkzd... I believe the site is applesnail.net (http://www.applesnail.net/)

msjinkzd
11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
oops! thanks, i type it so often i just had a brain fart.