PDA

View Full Version : Nano ?

Freashfish
10-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a 10 gal sitting here and would like to try a nano tank. Is there a list of equipment that I could look at or could someone give me a list? Thanks Dean.

Cliff
10-20-2013, 12:18 AM
The below links should help with that

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=76398

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=112702

Freashfish
10-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Cool Thank you

Special K
10-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Here's what I ran on my 10g when I had it running.

Lighting:
4x24w T5HO

Flow:
Koralia 1 (equivalent now to the Koralia Nano)
Maxi Jet 1200 (pump on my skimmer)

Skimmer:
CPR BakPak

While a skimmer isn't necessary on a tank this small, it surely can't hurt. Other than improving water quality and adding more flow, the skimmer also adds volume that can make a difference to a tank this small(about 10% of the total volume of the tank).

Freashfish
10-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Here's what I ran on my 10g when I had it running.

Lighting:
4x24w T5HO

Flow:
Koralia 1 (equivalent now to the Koralia Nano)
Maxi Jet 1200 (pump on my skimmer)

Skimmer:
CPR BakPak

While a skimmer isn't necessary on a tank this small, it surely can't hurt. Other than improving water quality and adding more flow, the skimmer also adds volume that can make a difference to a tank this small(about 10% of the total volume of the tank).

Thanks on this info! been doing a lot of reading and pricing hope to get it set up here soon.

sheamurai
10-29-2013, 02:29 AM
You surely won't regret researching and reading up on saltwater. Its so easy to waste a LOT of money, and time, and fishy lives by trying to do things too cheaply, without some foresight. And there's so many methods and so much equipment out there - you really do need to get a handle on the basics yourself, and then get help on the details and gaps you can't quite understand once you decide where you're going.

Saltwater is quite a different - but awesome - kettle of fish! (lol)

Most of us of AC, I think, lean to live rock filtration, rather than a power filter, so you might want to read up/factor that in as well. Live rock can be quite a cost, unless you are prepared to take the time to allow for seeding dead rock.

Zerileous
10-29-2013, 02:38 AM
I know next to nothing about salt, but I know a buddy of mine had pretty good luck setting up a nano using this forum as a resource: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums. No slight meant to the reefers here, but the more info the better. :)

Freashfish
10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
You surely won't regret researching and reading up on saltwater. Its so easy to waste a LOT of money, and time, and fishy lives by trying to do things too cheaply, without some foresight. And there's so many methods and so much equipment out there - you really do need to get a handle on the basics yourself, and then get help on the details and gaps you can't quite understand once you decide where you're going.

Saltwater is quite a different - but awesome - kettle of fish! (lol)

Most of us of AC, I think, lean to live rock filtration, rather than a power filter, so you might want to read up/factor that in as well. Live rock can be quite a cost, unless you are prepared to take the time to allow for seeding dead rock.

That's what I was wondering about using live rock instead of a power filter. I'm going to a lfs in the next town over tomorrow that only deals in salt water and has a lot of dif coral, fish they sell and everything to do with salt water. The biggest thing i'm trying to figure out is all the equipment that I need since i'm going to use live rock and live sand.

Cliff
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
I would read up on live sand before using it. There are a different options out there about the pros and cons of using it. I for one will never use it again

At a very basic level, you need:
-as close to pure/natural salt water as possible
-Live rock for filtration
-about 10 to 20X water circulation from power heads
-I would personally add a skimmer to this list, but on a basic level it can be optional
-Almost any lighting with a 14K or higher color temp will do

If you want corals, lighting and flow become a lot more critical and you will most likely need a skimmer.

I would suggest you first decide what you want to keep in your tank and what you want it to look like. That will truly determine your equipment chooses, which would equally apply if you were setting up a 10 gallon nano, or a 1,000 gallon tank. The basics are all the same, only the scale changes.

Without that imagine in mind, I would be just taking a shot in the dark here. Any more specific details on what you want would help allot

Freashfish
10-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks on the feed back Cliff!!

I'm looking at doing something like this just to get my feet wet again.
http://www.idahoreefs.org/Gallery/2006TOTM/Loren_Green/1_Week_6_.jpg

I had a 29 gallon SW tank about 20 yrs ago. But back then it was just had crushed coral with live rock but think it was dead rock because nothing ever grew on it. I just had a hob filter heater and a couple other thing I don't remember and as for fish I had damsals small clown trigger and a small lion fish. The tank was healthy never had a problem. After a yr of this tank I gave it away because I moved across state and wouldn't have a place for it. So I kind of know what to do but its been so long ago I want to start from scratch again and relearn. but with coral and what not.

Thanks again Dean.

Freashfish
10-30-2013, 02:38 PM
O ya besides coral I would like to put cuc crabs, snails also some shrimp and a Anemone along with a clown fish. If I need to move up to a 20 gallon I could also do that to fit a couple a damsials in there also.

Freashfish
10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
One more post lol
I went to a page you have coral archives these are some of the ones I like and was reading they seem to be good.

Flower pot coral
Duncan Coral
Button polyps
Finger leather

How well would these do together in a nano tank?

Cliff
10-31-2013, 01:33 AM
The clowns and almost all anemones will get too big pretty fast for a 10 gallon tank. I would not add either in a tank any smaller than a 29 gallon

I would recommend sticking to corals that you can frag as you have a very small tank which can become very overgrown very fast. Zoas, leathers, and almost all of the different types polyps would work fine

I would suggest a HOB skimmer. I only have experience with a AquaC ramora which I would think would work great on a 10 gallon tank. I would suggest a double bulb T5NO fixture with one super blue bulb (20,000K or higher) and a 14,000K white bulb. Assuming you are getting the skimmer, I would also add two Korillia nano powerheads. Along with about 10lbs of live rock, you should be set. As a option, a small HOB filter for some Chemi-Pure would also be helpful.

For the clean-up crew, I would suggest waiting to wait you have to clean up first as some types of crabs and snails prefer to eat only certain types of algaes.

Freashfish
10-31-2013, 08:12 PM
^^^^ Cool ! Thanks Cliff.
Sound like a good place to start I'll start getting all the equipment together. There's a place in town that sell whole sale to pet stores. Think I'll stop in there and see if they can cut me a deal on a 29 gal tank. This will take a couple months to get the tank going ( Wife says bills come first LOL) Then the tank. What I learn now on what i need and what to do will get me ready for when its time to set up.

Thanks again Dean.