PDA

View Full Version : digging betta?

fishmommie
10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Has anyone ever had a betta dig into the substrate to rearrange its tank?

My crowntail (5 gal tank) has moved all the flourite out of a back corner of the tank. Have never seen that before.

Anyone have any ideas on what's up with this guy?

Strider199
10-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Sounds like he wants a nice smooth space to lay on. I don't have any substrate in the Betta tank just some java moss tied to a piece of slate. The Betta likes to cuddle in the Java moss until something catches his eye. I have had mine jump out of the tank while I was typing on the PC right near my mouse. I wet my fingers in his tank and scooped him up. When I put him back he just stared at me for a few minutes before settling down again. I figured he would get a fungal infection but that never happened. Now I only get water splashed on me once in a while when I'm on the computer. Betta's are very observant fish with weird behaviours I think.

Maybe yours has been hanging around some cichlids?(blush)

fishmommie
10-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Your betta sounds as weird as mine, Strider :o)
I've done some googling since and found that this is not unheard of behavior. In most cases, however, it was 'assumed' the betta was looking for a way to get away from the lights or because he didn't have a hidey hole. Mine has a lot of hidey holes and lights aren't an issue.
I think he was just having some fun. When I change his water this weekend, I'll fill in the hole and see if he scoops it out again :o) If so - Game On, big guy! :hmm3grin2orange: