PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for it?

Incredulous_Ed
11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
My good lfs has long fin blue rams. They said they look healthy but the colors are not any thing special. Do you think they are dyed? I think I might go down there today and see. What should I look for?

Fishalicious
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
They are probably not dyed but they are a strain that were developed in Asia...

Rams are already such beautiful fish on their own without all the long-fin, balloon etc variations... add to that that they are already quite weak fish these days as they are mass bred in Asia and pumped full hormones to show stonger colors at the purchase I would always stay clear of strain variants as they are likely to be even weaker..

Many of these varieties suffer from lower fertility, health problems or reduced brood care in comparison to wild-type specimens

If you have your heart set on Rams I really would suggest trying to get a pair from Europe or from a breeder locally - they are a lot lot stronger , bigger built and very strong in natural coloration

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Get them in a nice, calming tank with regular water changes and you will probably see some lovely colors coming up. Fish never look their best in the store.

TowBoater
11-03-2007, 01:36 AM
I second that hobbs. I have bad luck with rams and always have so I can't help you much on it but what hobbs said is right for sure.

Incredulous_Ed
11-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Well, I can't order online or obtain from a local breeder (it's complicated). Is there any thing I can do????????