PDA

View Full Version : What kind of algae eater is this?

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2007, 07:55 PM
It was listed only as "gold alage eater" but when I look online, it says the gold algae eater is also the Chinese algae eater but these have no markings like the Chinese.

Will my neons be safe with him?

blu
11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
it looks like gold chinese algae eater to me...mabey someone else will be a bit more knowlegable. When I have seen the gold chinese ones i didnt see markings on them they were just plain gold.

smaug
11-02-2007, 08:21 PM
It is a gold color form of a chinese algae eater.I had 2 of them,my local petco had them listed as "fancy chinese algae eater" for me one of them has already died and the other one is on his way out.Both of mine were very runty and just seemed to waste away.the other 2 I have left are both normal colored and very healthy.My biggest one is 3 " and he is only mildy aggressive,but his attacks are just bluff.Supposedly they ge mean when they get bigger and want to attach themselves to bigger fish,I have yet to see any of that.

Rue
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, it's just a colour variation...they do need lots of vegetables in their diet...and they can get mean as they grow up...so watch!

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Just to be safe, I will move that one away from my neons. Took me too long to get them to feed them to this guy.

Spyder
11-02-2007, 10:34 PM
He will be less likely to bother you Neons than any other fish. He will get territorial and want a hiding place. Any fish entering, such as a Cory will be attacked as well as large fish he can get his sucker on. I have a 9 year old 9" CAE with juvi Juli's and CoudoPunks in an African set up and he leaves them alone.

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Oh boy, Spyder. I think I'm in trouble.

For one, I never thought they'd get that big. I have one in the 29 planted and have 4 corys in there. The other 3 are in my 55 gallon planted with the featherfin. That sounds like trouble to me. I do believe I messed up big time here unless the featherfin can keep them at bay.

TowBoater
11-03-2007, 01:38 AM
They get large Hobbs and get aggressive as they get older.

Spyder
11-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Can you return them to your LFS? Bristlenose are much more suitable, although I do like my CAE and I have him were he is no trouble.

crackatinny
11-03-2007, 04:01 AM
To me it looks very much like the guy below, apart from the colour of yours, if so I have 3, 1 gold (like yours) and 2 same as below, only stripes are different, around here they are sold as suckermouth catfish, I have had 2 of mine about a year, and up to around 5inche they grew very fast, but dont seem to be growing much at all now, and 1 is in the 120G, so tank size is not stunting growth, I see them chase the fish at times, but never really attack them, I have read that they will latch onto a broad fish such as angel or silver dollar, to suck the slime off, though I have both these species with mine, and have never witnessed it.

Tjones
11-03-2007, 07:08 AM
i also used to have one in a 20g that was overstocked with blue gourami's nean tetra's and zebra danio's. i also had some large gold angle fish and a 5 inch pleco ( not sure on the pleco or angle i got them from the tank my uncle had in his jewelry shop when he decided he was tired of the mess it caused) any way the little guy didn't really grow much maybe an inch over 2 years.... he spent most of his time under a plastic tree cave or inside a plastic castle... never noticed aggresion besides when other fish would bother him, they he'd chase them off and resume his eating/cleaning

Spyder
11-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I had mine in a 120 and he killed a couple Corys, then he started on my Clown Loaches and had them so scared that they never came out, the Clowns were 6 - 7" at the time. When that started I moved him to my 75g with my spawning Kribs, he went right into the Kribs cave and attacked the female that was garding fry. He then ended up in my African Tanks and has been there for the last 2 years.

crackatinny
11-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow Spyder, sounds like you have got an aggressive one there, we find ours get along very well with the clown loaches and the pakistani's as well.

I am interested in the size of yours, because I had read they can get quite large, have you had it since small, if so, how did you find the growth rate, as i said in my earlier post, up to about 5inche ours grew very quickly, but since they reached that size there has been no more noticeable growth.

Spyder
11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
He has not grown in a few years. He did grow quickly at first. I have a great pic of him, I just can't find it. If I come a cross it I will post it. It's funny, he is not aggressive with my Lamprologus Coadopunctatus or my Julidichromis Ornatus. I even had the adults with him and they seemed to pic on him a little.