PDA

View Full Version : angelfish with 3 front fins/feelers

jimmi
09-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Hello,

Long time reader always looking for advice and finding great answers here. Thanks for that!

I have been looking for information on this for a while but yet am unable to find anything relating to it. (sorry if I did happen to miss it somewhere)

I have a really beautiful blue angelfish, that happens to have 3 front fins/feelers. It had 3 when I got it and thought one may have split somehow. Now that it is getting bigger I am able to see that it looks like it just has 3 of them. They are all seperate and do not connect at the base. I think it looks neat, but I am wondering if it is bad for the fish?(seems to be in great health) and is that a common defect? Anyone I am asking local has never seen it before.

Thanks for looking, and any advice or info would be great!
Have a wonderful day!30040300413004230043

fishmommie
09-06-2013, 03:25 PM
thanks for sharing photos. Beautiful angel. Interesting about the feeler.

Byron
09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Genetic defects/oddities do occur in fish. I've no idea what might cause this, but I wouldn't worry. If the fish is acting normal, eating, swimming, etc, it is probably not any the worse off.

Byron.

madagascariensis
09-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Its a beautiful And healthy Looking Fish. Unless you see the fin bothering it in some way, I wouldn't worry

Gesp56
09-07-2013, 11:13 PM
It could be a genetic defect due to inbreeding, a defect that just randomly occurred but is not linked to inbreeding, or this could be the result of two eggs improperly fusing together while they were still inside the parent fish. Basically this fish could be the equivalent of conjoined twins that occur sometimes in human babies. Its very interesting and rare. Be sure to keep him/her healthy, definitely a neat fish!!

Be sure to watch for any odd behavior. If this fish is the result of two eggs conjoining then it could have more than one of each organ. The head looks alittle more bulbous then most angelfish. This could be the result of more than one brain being present or two brains that didn't completely merge.

Very interesting fish. Its very expensive but if you ever get the chance I would have genetic tests run on it to see if more than one set of DNA is present.

talldutchie
09-08-2013, 06:08 AM
I've seen genetic defects like this once or twice when I bred guppies. Those never reached adulthood. Interesting to see that this one has.

wgoldfarb
09-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Hmmm....perhaps it's Pterophyllum jimmiae? ;-)

jimmi
09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
He seems very healthy and happy. Not sure what kind he is.

Got him from a local breeder.

I am posting a pic, the 3 fin fish, and the stripe one came from the same tank. When they were little they looked exactly the same with the stripes. As they got older the 3 fin lost his stripes and became the blue colour he is now.

philthy
01-17-2014, 05:47 PM
awesome fish, would be cool to breed it and see if you can replicate it. I imagine in you could bread a healthy strain with 3 or even 4 fins it you could earn some sort of merit or money, maybe you could name it after yourself, that'd be cool. haha, but more importantly, do it for science!

Azurescriber
01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
I think the mutation is beautiful...really cool looking. As long as it's healthy, celebrate diversity, lol.

Fishkeeper
01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Very neat!
Ooh, trying to breed it is a cool idea... I bet you could get a lot of cash for three-feeler angelfish.
It does look a little odd around the head area, but I don't see anything that looks like any sort of a problem for the fish. Have you ever seen him use the feelers? I like watching my gourami feeler his way around things, and I'm just wondering if all three of those would work for that.
I don't really know if angels use their feeler-fins for anything, actually.

madagascariensis
01-18-2014, 02:43 AM
The lump over the head just looks like a nuchal hump to me, and as far as I know, angelfish to not employ their pelvic fins as sensory organs.

In my opinion I don't think you should try breeding that angelfish, especially if the cause of its anomaly is genetic. I may be more conservative, but with a few exceptions, I do not support the breeding of fish that differ from their wild ancestors, especially if the changes may cause discomfort. Things like balloon body rainbow fish/gouramis/livebearers, longfin oscars, bubble eye goldfish, etc.

Captain Jim
06-19-2014, 07:22 AM
I have a gold/green smokey about six months old that has three ventrals..two are grown together cosmetically..could use exacto knife to separate, but I;ve left him alone..odd, yet attractive fish..completely normal, healthy otherwise.

rebecca_finny
07-01-2014, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't be breeding it, but I've seen angels with 3 ventrals, and they look pretty neat. :)

Captain Jim
07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Speaking of breeding with three ventrals..the smokey I have laid eggs with one of the females,but I did not see them in time before most had been eaten. Things cooled off and I don't know who he spawned with..there is six of them. Hope you are not mad I'm using your thread, jimmia

rebecca_finny
07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
:threadjacked:

Lol, just kidding. :)