PDA

View Full Version : Algae continues on sword plants

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2007, 01:56 AM
I seemed to have gotten rid of all annoying algae but I continue to have it on my swords. Must be those flat leaves are a good area for the aglae.

I am leaving the lights on less ( about 7 hours) and they are getting their ferts both in the water and at the root so .......idea's?

I do have to add that I am using Soil Master Select which is a dusty, nasty subtrate when disturbed. Not all that sure that it isn't just that nasty dust settling on the swords, either.

CAF
11-02-2007, 12:39 PM
What are your stats?

Phosphate?
Iron?

What do you have to clean algae in the tank?

How much light?

Are you using CO2?

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2007, 02:22 PM
What are your stats?

Phosphate? 2
Iron? Don't know but give iron root tabs as well as iron in the liguid.

What do you have to clean algae in the tank? Only my featherfin and he doesn't do much which is why I was asking what kind of pleco can be with him. Seems not much of anything.

How much light? 130 watts on 55 gallon and 56 on 29 gallon. Same problem in both tanks.

Are you using CO2? Off and on. I think the bubbler sucks and is more trouble than it is good. I do use Excel.

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2007, 07:43 PM
CAF.........after checking out my plants better, they all have this dust on them from the subtrate. It isn't alage at all! It's dirt.

CAF
11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Darn wrist......

Since it is gravel dust, just take a turkey baster and blow the leaves clean the next time you are doing a WC...

What size is your Featherfin? I had a common pleco in with mine for a while (before they got too large and had to find a new home for them)

Lady Hobbs
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey, now that is an awesome tip! Thanks. That soil master select is so loose and fine it drives me nuts but I still like the looks of it. It just isn't meant to be messed with constantly. Once I get things were I know they will remain, I might add a light amount of gravel on top to help hold it down from flying all over the place.

My featherfins are pretty close to 5 inches I'd say.

CAF
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Get a few smallish caves and some bushynoses.... The gravel sounds like a good idea...