PDA

View Full Version : Best Floating plant for 10 gallon shrimp tank

Greentoads41
09-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Title says it all, i'm looking for a plant on the surface, not around the tank like hornwart or susswassertang. I'm not going to get duckweed, I've heard too many bad things about it. I'm looking at salvinia minima, dwarf water lettuce, azolla, red floaters, and amazon frogbit. I've done research on all of them, and formed some opinions, but wanted to know what everyone on here thought. Thanks!

genocidex
09-01-2013, 05:01 AM
What kind of filter are u running? All hobs are potential floater killer. But i love my frogbit. Heck if you want some ill ship u some for just postage lol.

madagascariensis
09-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I've had frogbit both in a pond and a 65 gallon and can certainly say that when given room to grow it gets very big. I've had plants 3 inches across with 3 ft roots.

Dwarf water lettuce is much smaller than the "normal" lettuce but again, I still think too big. Duckweed is simply invasive. I would pick from the Azolla, salvinia or red root floater, of which my favorite is clearly the red root floater. Short roots don't mess with view and are an attractive pink, leaves are, well, red and velvety and don't grow very big. Also grows fairly slow for a floater and will not require huge amounts of pruning to control.

Greentoads41
09-01-2013, 09:09 PM
What kind of filter are u running?
Just 2 sponge filters in my ten gallon. I might have to take you up on the frogbit offer...if I can't find any red root floaters, I probably will. Does azolla have roots?

genocidex
09-01-2013, 10:11 PM
From my understanding rrf need very high light, co2, and lots of nutrients to actually be red. I think they will survive under normal light and some nutrients but to bring out the color they need higher tech setups.

Byron
09-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Most any floating plant will work here. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce (BTW, there is no true "dwarf" WL species, it is the same plant (Pistia stratiotes) but will remain "dwarf" under less optimum conditions), and Frogbit; these are individual plants. Then there are the mini floaters like Salvinia (and duckweed, etc). And then there are stem plants that do well floating; my favourite here is Brazilian Pennywort. The leaves lay on the surface and roots grow down from each node for a very nice effect.

Byron.

Greentoads41
09-01-2013, 10:31 PM
@genocidex I thought as much...I think it's the same deal with rotala indica and other red aquarium plants. :redface: I was just hoping it might show a little pink perhaps. Does azolla have roots?
@Byron, If all the plants will work, then I guess it's up to me lol

genocidex
09-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Also something to consider would be expense. If these are the first floaters you have taken care of, you might want to go cheapest and work up from there. I think if you keep nutrients higher with the frogbit the roots would stay smaller if thats a concern.

talldutchie
09-02-2013, 05:41 AM
I've had frogbit both in a pond and a 65 gallon and can certainly say that when given room to grow it gets very big. I've had plants 3 inches across with 3 ft roots.

On the other hand, in my daughter's shrimp tank they stayd about 2 inches across.

For scale reasons I'd go for Salvinia natans I think.