PDA

View Full Version : pic of my ram

Kaga's Kritters
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
here is a pic of my ram. he was sold to me as a german ram, but doesn't have the coloring of one. This is the best pic I could get. He is very brown in color with some black markings. On the front half of him is some yellowish-orangish shading. His fins also have a hint of color to them.

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Looks like a mix between the German and the Gold version...???

He looks a very poorly still from his travels as well as undernourished - pamper him for a few days with live food or white/black mosquito larvae and keep us updated :ezpi_wink1:

I hope he brings you as much joy as mine do me... :19:

Incredulous_Ed
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
he looks kind of like a bolivian and gold ram.

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Mmmh don't see much bolivian in him... you can see the faded side black spot on the foto so definatly a Ram...

Looking forward to seeing foto's once he has fattened up and looking healthy again... cannot wait to see how is 'real' colors are ;)

Incredulous_Ed
11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
what temp is the tank at? if you warm it up, the ram will color up.

Kaga's Kritters
11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
i keep the tank at 78-79 F

Incredulous_Ed
11-01-2007, 10:01 PM
rams like in the 80s

Kaga's Kritters
11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
dont most fish like it just under 80 though? i dont want to make it too hot for the rest of my fish.

just looked up rams on liveaquaria and it says 72-79 for both the german and bolivian

Kaga's Kritters
11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
i just looked up bolivian ram and they look a lot like mine, although mine doesn't have as much color right now. so the lfs had them miss labeled. cause he was calling them german rams.

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 10:28 PM
My bad ... I cannot see any red on the fins and the body shape is more ram like... :confused:

Well even for a Bolivian it looks pretty poorly at least you know it will grow larger than a Ram - if space allows it Bolivians like some company from their own kind unlike Rams (males will fight) you can get several and see which ones pair up and then keep a pair later and take the rest back - they are really difficult to sex until they pair off.

The temp you have is fine especially if there are other fish in the tank that don't like higher temps..

Please keep us updated on this little cutie & pamper pamper and then pamper him/her some more ;)

Kaga's Kritters
11-01-2007, 10:50 PM
there is a faint red tint to the fins, you can't see if in the pic though. the store does have another one like him, so maybe i will get it if they still have it when i get some money. i thought you could sex rams by their dorsal fin, just like gouramis.

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Sexing Ramirezi & Bolivian's is completely different - in the german/ramirezi it is very obvious ... Bolivians on the other hand until they reach maturity I find very difficult - they say you can via finnage etc but I know many who can't until they reach maturity (inluding myself) The fish themselves know what is what thumbs2: So if you start with a group of 6 little ones it will be apparent which one is which sex and you can take the others back once a couple has formed or if the tank is large enough keep 2 couples...

Try searching google under the latin name Microgeophagus altispinosa for sexing as on searching with Bolivian Ram it tends to throw the information for the German/Ramirezi and Bolivian/Altisponosa together in one pot which is not the case