PDA

View Full Version : Maximum fish, and more?!

rubema
08-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi ever one,
I am totally new here, and this is my first aquarium and i think it will not be the last (please check the pictures).

My tank Specs:

- The size of it is approx (150 L x 55 H x 45 W) and its almost 95 Gallon.
- It has 2 internal filters (with its media), Ehime classic 600 and also i just bought the Eheim professional 3, for maximum filtration.
- I am one the way to add some wood and real plants.

I have 3 questions please, and maybe more in few days:

1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.

--------

Pictures of my new aqurem, i need more days to fish it all, it has been almost 7 days since i added the water.

Thank you very much..

sheamurai
08-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the forum!

When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.

fishmommie
08-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.

Byron
08-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

Byron.

talldutchie
08-24-2013, 06:51 AM
1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.

1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

rubema
08-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum!

When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.

Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.

Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

Byron.

1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

WOW...
I really was very very happy for your great answer which i really appreciate and i am sure i will follow each of it. I will post some more qustions sure soon...
Thank you