PDA

View Full Version : Slow moving...

Citizen
07-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I am not what you call a "master of forums" but I have been on a few in my day... and I don't know how to fix this problem but this is the slowest moving forum I have been on... with other forums I can post something and look back in five minutes and BOOM a reply. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way this forum is run, I actually quite like the amount of info I am getting. But hey... I'm a member of the growing generation of information... the "Information age" if you will... and not only do we like info but we like it fast and always at our fingertips.

I guess we could come up with a way to activate people's interest or something... maybe have an awards section where members post pictures of their fish or tanks and once a month there is a vote on the best tank or best fish or best DIY project and people can compete for the status of having these awards... they will give different members respect by others in the forum and people will trust them with questions regarding fish keeping... actually I am new to this and from what it seems like it is referred to as "THE hobby" lol... yeah...

-Just a thought-

kimmers318
07-16-2006, 04:17 AM
I too have noticed that some other forums usually have someone responding quicker....but that hasn't always been better! I see alot of the same type of questions and answers, not always the best answers (IMO), and this group here is great. Stick with us.....you will not be disappointed!

Citizen
07-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Now that you mention it the quality of the answers in this forum are a lot better than most other forums... I haven't been to fish forums ever before but when someone asks a question it is always answered to the max and very rarely are follow-up questions needed... especially if the original question is phrased correctly.

And I will def stay here for a bit because, like I said, I'm new to fish and am gonna need tons of help. I'm a little on the younger side and my dad noticed me getting into it and he offered to finance my fish hobby as long as I share my tank with the family lol but I can get some quality stuff to help my dad make the best tank EVER lol

kimmers318
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Lucky you....someone else to finance your hobby! Best of luck to you. What size tank, what type of fish etc are you planning?

Citizen
07-16-2006, 04:50 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out from being here...

kimmers318
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
From personal experience....starting with a 10 gal really limits what you can have...and once you get started you will want more! The only fish I have happy in a 10 gal are my dwarfpuffers and then platy fry. Hubby bought me a 29 gal eclipse set up for my bday and I think that is the perfect size for a beginner. Large enough for several fish....not too large as to be daunting....and I really like the filter units.
If you have the room, and Dad is willing to go 55 gal...those are really nice set ups. It (to me) is a little more challenging getting enough decor and making it so it doesn't look bare...but becomes a really nice tank in the end. My 64 gallon is great....but buying larger decor and fake plants to try to make it look like I would like it too is a big expense. I would still like to have more decor in there....but we are concentrating on household/yard improvements right now, so that is where my $$$ is tied up!
Make sure you let us know what you end up with and how things go.

William
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
You're right that this forum has lower activity than many others but this forum is still small with a smaller number of active members. A mixed curse and blessing as discussed above. I am sure this will change as more members get involved over time.

But than again I am no expert when it comes to running forum so there might be a lot that could be done to increase the activity level.

Suggestions on how to do this is always welcome.

BTW the possibility to browse species by common name you requested Kimmers is almost ready for launch.

rollie
07-17-2006, 07:28 PM
it had been slow, but all (or most forums) is saying this.
could be because it summer, it hard to say.
but i am back. not that i was to far away, to begin with.

Citizen
07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
True, true. Summer could be the answer...