PDA

View Full Version : Question about DIY CO2 system

bree_Ann1221
08-15-2013, 06:10 AM
I have just built myself a CO2 system for my plants and I know they say you should turn it off at night and my question is, I turn my tank light off during the day and leave it on at night for sort of a night light so my tank's day and night is backwards. Do I still turn it off in the pm or do I turn it off when the tank light is off?

bree_Ann1221
08-15-2013, 06:45 AM
have just built myself a CO2 system for my plants and I know they say you should turn it off at night and my question is, I turn my tank light off during the day and leave it on at night for sort of a night light so my tank's day and night is backwards. Do I still turn it off in the pm or do I turn it off when the tank light is off?

bree_Ann1221
08-15-2013, 06:46 AM
have just built myself a CO2 system for my plants and I know they say you should turn it off at night and my question is, I turn my tank light off during the day and leave it on at night for sort of a night light so my tank's day and night is backwards. Do I still turn it off in the pm or do I turn it off when the tank light is off?

madagascariensis
08-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Plants photosynthesize when there is light, so you keep the CO2 on whenever there is light. Normally people have their lights on during the day, so they also keep their CO2 on then. For you it is reversed and so the CO2 dosing schedule should be reversed too.

This is if you have a pressurized co2 dosing system. A typical DIY setup consisting of water bottles and yeast will either disintegrate or explode if you attempt to stop the gas from escaping, as it is unable to handle the higher pressures.

Flyby Stardancer
08-15-2013, 02:27 PM
You follow the pattern of what your tank is. In this case, turning it off during the tank's "night", which is our day. The point is to only have it running while the plants are actively taking up CO2 for photosynthesis.

Cliff
08-15-2013, 05:11 PM
As you have started three threads to ask the same question, I have merged them all into one thread

bree_Ann1221
08-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Lol. Figured is try it in the different topics since I was not sure which one to post it in.

Thank you for all of your responses!

I know that it would explode if I tried to actually turn it off. I was just going to remove it from the water when the light was off.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!