PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds?

Flyby Stardancer
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
So, I think I want to add a background while I'm tearing apart and setting back up my 5 gallon on Friday. I'm talking about those flat backgrounds that go on the outside of the tank.

I'm thinking of just going with flat black. What are the options, both store-bought and DIY? I know they sell them in stores, but I don't know how those backgrounds are applied... I've also seen acrylic paint, but I'd like something easily removable, and I don't know how removable that would be from an acrylic aquarium that can't be scraped by a straight razor.

Are there any options that are cheaper than what's at the pet store?

Strider199
08-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Bristle board from someone like Staples or office depot will also work. The store bought ones are taped on the back and generally water proof. Bristle board is also taped on the edges but is not waterproof so you have to be more careful.
I used bristle board on my 10 gallon shrimp tank with good success. And if you get bored of the background, it's cheap to change to another colour.

Flyby Stardancer
08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I try to be careful when doing water changes anyways.... and still manage to get water everywhere. I'm just not good at keeping things neat. Heh. And what do you mean by 'bristle board'? I'm trying to find it online and coming up with nothing.

Also, could it be wrapped around to the sides? I'm thinking of having the sides maybe 1/2-2/3s covered.

fishmommie
08-12-2013, 10:23 PM
good advice from strider.
as for color - i took a poll on the AC when I set up my 90 gal. overwhelmingly the vote was for black. It shows off your fish and hard scape very well.

Strider199
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Bristle board is thin cardboard which alot of school presentations are pasted on. It comes in all kinds of colours. If your going to do the sides I would not wrap it around but cut it to fit tight to the glass instead.

I wonder if Bristle board is a Canadian term?

Ok I spelt it wrong, Bristol board and yes it is a Canadian term for poster board.
Here is a link which I found.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bristol+board&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com %2Fpost%2F51575336695%2Fbristol-board-is-what-canadians-call-poster&ei=dGMJUr7DKMSuyQGQ5IGYDA&usg=AFQjCNH4iMZh_PD_LC17zS50KT2cUO2-cQ&bvm=bv.50500085,d.aWc

Flyby Stardancer
08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh regional names, why are you so confusing? LOL

I've heard of using poster board, I've also heard of using construction paper. Either way, I'm absolutely horrible at not getting water everywhere when I do changes, though hopefully it'll be better because I'll be doing changes from my new sump filter, which should hopefully minimize the splashing on the tank itself...

They also have it in craft stores, and I'll need to make a craft store run for plastic mesh anyways... lol :)

Byron
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
I use black construction paper and have it on 3 tanks now. It is so inexpensive, even if you do get it wet. But just leave it, it dries out unless it is really soaked. A small bit of scotch tap at the top corners holds it. It has the advantage of being dull, meaning not shiny which most of the waterproof backgrounds are, and this means the back wall almost disappears making the space appear larger.

Byron.

ijankrom
08-14-2013, 07:19 PM
It has the advantage of being dull, meaning not shiny which most of the waterproof backgrounds are, and this means the back wall almost disappears making the space appear larger.

Oh I like that idea, anything to make my tank look bigger.:hmm3grin2orange:

Strider199
08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Oh I like that idea, anything to make my tank look bigger.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mirrors. hehehe

KevinVA
08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I use black construction paper and have it on 3 tanks now. It is so inexpensive, even if you do get it wet. But just leave it, it dries out unless it is really soaked. A small bit of scotch tap at the top corners holds it. It has the advantage of being dull, meaning not shiny which most of the waterproof backgrounds are, and this means the back wall almost disappears making the space appear larger.

Byron.

I think you just solved my problem for my 3 new tanks. =]

Thank you, sir. Such a simple solution, but apparently, easily overlooked.