PDA

View Full Version : My Ghost shrimp has eggs - Please help..

xyzgrafix
08-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 32gallon planted tank. A couple of a days ago, my ghost shrimp molted it outer skin and now I see her carrying eggs in her belly. I am a beginner when it comes to planted tanks & ghost shrimps and have been running this tank for 2 months now. How long does it take for her to lay the eggs? is there a possibility that a beginner like me can raise the little ones ? It would be great, if I can get a little help from experts out there on what should I do..

Other inhabitants: A male betta, an Apple snail, 5 neon dwarf rainbows, 5 serpae tetras, 2 window tetras, 5 guppies, 1 cobalt blue dwarf gourami and a Chinese algae eater.

FinalJenemba
08-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Ghost shrimp can only successfully hatch the eggs in brackish water. Even if it did breed the fry would be immediately eaten by the fish. Franky im amazed you have a ghost shrimp and a dwarf gourami getting along at all lol. Mine used to adore eating shrimp.

To breed shrimp they need species only tanks setup for breeding. If you want to try it out cherry shrimp breed like rabbits and you could do it in a 5g with a sponge filter and some moss.

SueD
08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
There are ghost shrimp that will hatch in fresh water, but they start out in a larval stage. Given your tank inhabitants, the chances of any surviving are just about zero. I had one baby survive once in a guppy only tank.