PDA

View Full Version : Can I feed onions to my Blue Crayfish?

twiztidtunes
08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
What the title says

I noticed the waste of onions we have. The cut off ends and outer shell I was curious if these would be bad for the crayfish? I have a few emails into "experts" but haven't had any responses.

lbagby
08-09-2013, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't. Onions are well known for absorbing toxins from the air as they sit out. If you're feeding him fresh onion, I'd try it maybe, but from what I've read you'd be giving him scraps that have most likely sat out a while. Someone else might have more knowledge on this, but just from what I know about onions, it doesn't seem like the best idea.

madagascariensis
08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Many people feed their fish/other aquatic pets vegetables. However, whether it is advisable to feed a vegetable so loaded with various chemical compounds(such as the one that causes you to cry) that could leach into the water is not clear.m

Fishkeeper
08-09-2013, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't give onion to anything. It's just... Having onion juice in the water would probably be painful for the fish. If you don't want to waste scraps, you could always start a compost pile, or even just toss them in a bucket with a handful of dirt and let them decay.

twiztidtunes
08-09-2013, 01:13 AM
It would of been fresh onion if I did give it to him. But the comments above make me not even want to try no matter what anyone says.

Crispy
08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
crayfish are carnivorous scavengers and would not eat onions. they would rot in your tank.

Knightia
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Unless there was a precident for it elsewhere, I wouldn't.

I don't think onion would provide much nutritional value in any case.