PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium Spongia)

Knightia
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Does anyone trim the roots on these plants? I've had some for a few weeks now and the roots have shot down. They're reaching 20-25cm now and I'm finding them less and less attractive.

Trim?

Any thoughts?

talldutchie
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Trim! Works well on mine and I'm throwing away 2 handsful every week.

Knightia
08-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh cool, ok. I was a bit nervous it would stunt them. Thanks.

genocidex
08-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I like the way the roots look, but ive cut them without an issue...

Knightia
08-06-2013, 08:30 PM
They are really interesting, especially with all the fine little hairs on them. Quite delicate and beautiful.

But they block the view of the rest of the tank. :lol: I'll give them a haircut at the weekend.

Actually...whilst I'm asking - they've developed a few tiny brown spots all over the leaves. Should I be concerned? They seem to be producing a fair amount of new growth at the same time.

genocidex
08-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I think it comes from an imbalance in nitrients. Btw tbh i wouldnt worry, i would pluck all the sickly looking ones when you do a pwc. Thats what i do

Knightia
08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I trim off the larger, soggier looking ones.

I do wonder if they are a bit hot, being so close to the lights. The downside of a Juwel tank is that the water level has to be quite high for the filter so this brings them within inches of the powerful lights.

genocidex
08-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Glass tops help prevent burns as it locks in moisture. Only time io have burn issues is when the leaves grow off the water and dry out

madagascariensis
08-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Brown spots might be burn marks from lights or nutrient deficiency. My frogbit is always the first to show deficiencies due to its extreme growth. In my experience, when you cut a root at any point, the rest of it also dies and the plant relies on sending out new roots. Not that it will harm the plant as a whole. The long roots may actually be a compliment on your fishkeeping skills. From duckweed i have read that root length is inversely proportional to nutrient availability, and i have observed the same trend in frogbit.

genocidex
08-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Wow thanks for the info, when i add my co2 injector ill be dosing more nutrients... Maybe they will shorten up

talldutchie
08-07-2013, 07:03 AM
I trim off the larger, soggier looking ones.

I do wonder if they are a bit hot, being so close to the lights. The downside of a Juwel tank is that the water level has to be quite high for the filter so this brings them within inches of the powerful lights.
OTOH, you don't get an unsightly water line.
I'm running a juwel tank as well. On water change day I take out a handful and chuck it out, usually take the ones with leaf damage.