PDA

View Full Version : blood worms

renagade
10-31-2007, 03:58 AM
whaaaahh!!! I just rode down to a new reptile and aquarium shop on king st in newtown (sydney) and picked up some frozen blood worms. I've only had the tank for about two weeks, and today was the first time i'd used them in my tank. my dwalf chichlids went spastic for them. i used a mix of flake, chichlid sticks and frozen block food usually. but i like to mix it up. can anyone tell me if there are negatives to feeding blood worm or frozen for that matter??

cocoa_pleco
10-31-2007, 04:09 AM
herbivorous fish should get very little of it since if they get too much they get bloated. only feed it once a week, and you should be fine

renagade
10-31-2007, 05:19 AM
thanks. i won't over do it then. i usually add some blanched lettus and i've tried blanched squash, but they were not so exited about it.:c9:

Fishalicious
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
All fish I know are crazy about bloodworms - it is like a feeding frenzy when they hit the water...

I also only give it as a treat once every 2 weeks as cocoa_pleco said t can cause bloating as well as serious darm problems in dwarfcichlids it also has a very high fatty content and less nutrition than other foods so for that reason also it should not be fed too often ;)

Lady Hobbs
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Blood worms are a treat and not to be considered a food. As cocoa mentioned, fish can get bloat from too much meat products.

Feed a small amount of blood worms once or twice a week is all. You don't need to put so many varieties of food in your tank at once. Feed one food at a time and the next feeding try something else so they get a variety and you can see what they do and do not care for. And prevent over-feeding.

zackish
10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
herbivorous fish should get very little of it since if they get too much they get bloated. only feed it once a week, and you should be fine

Yup, I feed my tank half a pellet of frozen bloodworms every friday and they frickin love it.

Incredulous_Ed
10-31-2007, 11:26 PM
bloodworms are pretty fatty, so feed only once in a while/

Fishesses
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Just tired blood worms in our 55. Wow! The mollies, rasboras, danios and rummy noses went nuts.

VIP
10-07-2009, 05:08 AM
my barbs totally go crazy when i am giving them blood worms...!they just love it !

i am feeding them a max of 2 pellets a week... depending of the week.

Lab_Rat
10-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Yay, another thread resurrection!

Fishesses
10-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Search feature, for the win. :22: