PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lobster & It's tankmates..

Odicombe
08-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi! :) I was wondering if anyone knew if my 3 1/2 inch blue lobster (it's some kind of blue freshwater crayfish) would be safe with the following tankmates:
pink kissing gourami 3 1/2"
4x Blood parrot
4"
5"
6"
8"
and a 10" pleco
Hes been in a few hours and has been chasing around my pink gourami and smallest parrot, and when they get close he lunges and snaps at them with his claws, but cant reach them when they're swimming...
So I'm just wondering if their safe in there with him? or is he likely to catch them in time?

sheamurai
08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
they may be in trouble after lights out when they settle for the night.

Whatever it can catch, it will.

genocidex
08-01-2013, 01:56 AM
"lobsters" desirve a tank on their own, or at least housed with upper level fish like hatches or butterfly fish. those fish wont go near the bottom where the blue lobster will be.

also on the stock, that guy will go after all your fish at night (+1 to sheamurai) and when he sheds his shell he will be on the menue for the plecos, as im assuming they are all commons.

what tank size is this btw?

fishmommie
08-01-2013, 04:12 AM
agree with the above posts. I had one for a week but took him out of the tank before the end of the second day and put him in a 5 gal until I could get him back to the LFS. named him Achmed the terrorist - because he terrorized the tank.
Any way you can get him out of there asap? and I hope you don't have any snails in the tank. he'll kill them first if so.
I hope to have one again - very interesting characters - but he'll have his own tank this time.

Longshot
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Undoubtedly a candidate f0r a specie tank. These things aren't suitable f0r anything that w0uld venture within reach. F0r their size they are nasty devils.

Odicombe
08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
What happened was that my friends tank burst in the night, killing most of his fish... with four 5"+ Chinese Algae Eaters and the lobster, and so they've sort of been forced on me...
Since the Chinese algae eaters are currently taking up my last 30 gal -(i dont want to put them in due to people saying they're aggresive... I don't really have much to put him in, except this tank or a large storage box...
He seems to have changed dramatically over night, he's taking residence in a pot and isn't chasing fish, only warning them off with his claws when the parrots try to get inside the pot, although he did at night.... but my fish took very little notice...
and the pleco is too big to try and eat him in the pot... (there is only one small opening and the pleco is way too big..)
Should I try him in the tank for a while or is he gonna be too "incompatible" ?

Longshot
08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
with the lights 0n he may mind his P's and Q's, but try t0 leave en0ugh light 0n acr0ss the r00m s0 that it is relatively dark but y0u can still see what he is up t0, watch him closely and determine his temperament with the 0ther critters f0r a few nights unless he immediately sh0ws signs 0f hunting the 0thers when it's lights 0ut. In which case bring him t0 the nearest LFS 0r by him a tank 0f his 0wn.

Scrup
08-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I have not heard of a crayfish living with other fish long term. Genocide nailed it. They will eat him or he will eat them. Possibly some of both.