PDA

View Full Version : Awesome new black angelfish!

slinky
10-31-2007, 12:25 AM
OK Megan... so I finally figured out what to replace my betta with (they have no business in an aquarium with an air pump) as well as the glofrankenfish - I got a black angelfish. I'm not sure whether that is just what you call him but he's all black with a little bit of gold. For the first day he wasn't eating and was just hanging out in back of the little tree I have in the center of the aquarium and doing nothing but staring at the wall. This morning it was more of the same although he changed spaces to the back.

So I went out and bought brine shrimp and bloodworms. I dumped in a few too many brine shrimp. :D I'm sure it's happened before to some of you. I had to fish some of them out... the other fish are a little fat, lol... but the angel wouldn't eat. Then I tried the bloodworms.... and he loves them!

What is really funny is that I think this fish maybe somewhat more intelligent than some of the others. Very quickly he picked up that I was going to feed him at the top of the tank and he followed my hand with a little spoon of bloodworms to the top. Eventually the molly and platy caught on so I had to stop but, by then, he ate a very healthy dosage. I think he needs them because he looks a tad beat up but that might be what these angelfish look like - as though they went through a shredder, lol. But he is very pretty and interesting to watch. He's a little timid and I thought he would be aggressive... what an interesting fish!

gm72
10-31-2007, 12:43 AM
my betta with (they have no business in an aquarium with an air pump) ack.

Well they don't need the air pump as they are labyrinthine fish and prefer much less oxygenation and still waters, but they can be in a tank with an air pump, no problem.

At any rate, your new fish sounds really great! Can you post any pictures?

Lady Hobbs
10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Angels like many cichlids know exactly where their food is. The often will sit in the corner like that, as well. They are napping.

Angels belong in at least 10 gallons per fish (which 20 being better) so be careful that he's not crowded.

slinky
10-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Well they don't need the air pump as they are labyrinthine fish and prefer much less oxygenation and still waters, but they can be in a tank with an air pump, no problem.

At any rate, your new fish sounds really great! Can you post any pictures?
I agree with you that the betta was OK in the tank with the pump but I had to put in a breeding tank with the bottom hole cut out and suction cup it to the side at the top so he had still water at the top of the tank. The betta always went to the top and hung out in it, leading me to the conclusion that bettas really don't like the moving water and are probably more susceptible to stress related issues. I put him in a quart bowl for now and he's creating bubble nests like he never did before. I think he had fun swimming around on occasion and in the air filter bubble stream but it was occasional.

OK... pictures! Here is the best one I could get (my camera is nice but with even higher priced autofocus prosumers it is really tough to shoot fish in an aquarium!) Here he (he/she?) is - I think a black ghost angelfish but I can't be sure. In the store he was one of the last one and I got him at half price (for like $2.99) since he was there for a week. Rule #1 - when in your local petstore, many of your fish will look much better after you've put them in a nice tank, gave them space and treated them with care.

Regarding my current setup, limited by my apartment, I have a tall 10 gallon hex with only 6 fish. 3 small-medium cory Julii, 1 red platy, 1 gold molly and now the black angelfish. There is enough room for all of them to be comfortable but that's really the limit. The cories stay at the bottom and occasionally swim through the middle area of the tank or more frequently up the sides. Thus there is more space for the angel to be happy and find his spot.

This guy is so cool... I gave him one last extra dose of bloodworms which he practically ate out of my hand with the outstretched spoon. How cool!

http://www.aquariumspace.com/mystuff/mynewangelfish.jpg

Lady Hobbs
10-31-2007, 01:05 AM
That tank will likely not be large enough for him in 6 months or so. The grow very fast and body size (without fins) can get to 5 inches.

gm72
10-31-2007, 01:08 AM
Lady is absolutely right. That tank is far too small once this angel starts growing. Didn't realize it was such a small tank. As a suggestion, I would upgrade to the new tank in maybe a month at the most and up your stocking in the 10 to include more platys and/or mollies.

slinky
10-31-2007, 01:27 AM
Lady is absolutely right. That tank is far too small once this angel starts growing. Didn't realize it was such a small tank. As a suggestion, I would upgrade to the new tank in maybe a month at the most and up your stocking in the 10 to include more platys and/or mollies.
I'm guessing that I'll be upgrading soon now that I know how to run a tank. The idea was simple - this was my first aquarium. I live in an apartment and don't have room for all the equipment most have. 10 gallons of water is a LOT more than most realize! A water change is 3 or so gallons a week, maybe 2, and that is 1 or 2 trips with a bucket and a bunch of bottles of water to fill! Considering how much I learned about cycling a tank... wow. Doing this again I can forgo all the pain and will get around to getting one about 4 weeks before I'm ready to move them.

My guess is that I'll be getting a 24 gallon aquapod since they seem to look very nice, have a matching stand and aren't as bulky as the standard 20 gallon ones and acrylic also looks nice. Given the room I have, something square, round or hex works best and this one looked good. The right side panel seems to open so I can stuff my fish supplies and testing kits into it as well. I'm not sure about it though since it seems to use a proprietary pump that, if it goes out, good luck finding something else that will fit. Regardless, a 20-24 should be enough to house these guys and then add some extra fish, probably 4-6 more.

The molly and platy hang out together as if they were the same species. They seem to play well together which is why I didn't have a problem with not getting another molly. Originally I had 2 and I thought the platy was related when I was in the store (so it was implied.) I've learned the subtle difference.

gm72
10-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Great to hear that you are learning and moving forward. Very, very well done!

TowBoater
10-31-2007, 02:22 AM
29g is a minimum for a pair of them, one could probably live with a couple corys, what are you looking at in upgrades?

slinky
10-31-2007, 03:37 AM
29g is a minimum for a pair of them, one could probably live with a couple corys, what are you looking at in upgrades?
So far I think he stays alone although angels may prefer to be paired off. I don't plan on upgrading the fish for a while, as 6 seems to be the limit for this 10 gallon where there is comfort. The 20 gallon hex looks pretty roomy (and wish I bought it originally) although I don't know how big these guys will get. When I hear numbers like 29g, I'm wondering why this is the case. They don't seem to require the side by side space that fish like loaches need (the clowns get pretty big!)

I looked at the aquapod and nanocube online for reviews. Doesn't look like many are satisfied long term. I also saw a couple of other options like a bowed 26g that looked large or a good deal on a 16 gallon bowed but it seems to be the same height as the hex and i'm not sure that the extra 6 gallons is a tremendous upgrade. I'd be happy with 8-10 fish and think that probably I'd have 3-4 julii, 3-4 mollies/plays and 2 angelfish and that would do it. Looking at aquariums now although I hate to part with the 10 gallon hex which is only 4 months old... any suggestions?

gm72
10-31-2007, 11:47 PM
I really like those 26 gallon bowfronts. Single angel with a school of corys would make for a VERY happy tank!

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Angels can grow very deformed if not given the right space- they will also wither away in too small a space. They are a larger fish that is used to a large swimming space and territory as hobbs said 10g per angel minimum with 20g being perfect per angelfish (no other fish included) Over here fishkeepers are also strict on the fact that angelfish should be kept in a tank with at least 19' high ideally 25' to allow their fins to fully grow.... if the tank is too low the fins will also either grow diformed or they will be scraping their fins against surfaces/subtrate all the time and breaking them.

I am over the moon that you are looking at getting a larger new tank... your fish will thank you :11: :11: It is fantastic that you listen to the advice given by other fishkeepers here... it all makes the hobby much nicer.

If I were you I would buy another one and keep the 10g also for you livebearers ;) ;) Nothing wrong with having more than one aquarium <grins>

TowBoater
11-01-2007, 01:40 AM
The bow would be fine for the one angel. They get 6" in diameter not counting the fins when they are full grown, think of a long finned SD in size and shape reference. They are very aggressive also and I agree with a tall tank is better.

slinky
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
This is the problem of being in the pet store where they have so many experts on hand. The keep these angels in 10 gallon tanks that are low. Mine is a lot taller and I was planning on getting a bigger one... <sigh>... my guy (or girl maybe) is now in the back of the tank, staying still next to the heater and hasn't gone for a swim for an entire day - except to get food.

Regarding the tanks... I need to figure out what is next and when I can get it. Won't happen this month so it may have to be a little cramped but it's not like he's that large just yet. He may be 3" high at best. Oddly enough he's not aggressive at all but I've seen some that are.

Essentially what I'm hearing is that an angelfish isn't the right one to put in this tank either. I've learned a great deal. Anything can go in your tank. It doesn't mean they will be happy and that they will live in such a condition. I can tell you that there is no possible way I can have 2 full tanks in here and it's either a 20 or *maybe* and 26 gallon and that's about it.

The aquapod looks like a challenging tank from what I'm reading, especially if one of the custom built items goes wrong. Looking online it seems that All Glass Aquarium 20, 30 and other hex and type tanks have been phased out almost completely. Not so easy to find things here locally as in the NY City area everything is VERY expensive.

slinky
11-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Uh oh. I saw some more angelfish today. They are huge. HUGE!!! I got what appears to be a semi young veil angelfish who is not nearly as large as the Koi angelfish I saw in the other tank who cost a lot more and were HUGE!!! I think he'll be OK in the 10 gallon for a little while but I don't know if he's happy or will ever be happy in any tank I run. I had no idea that they dwarf the size of almost any fish I currently have, which are cories, a molly and a platy.

I have heard that these fish don't really grow if the tank isn't large - I'm not sure how that happens and perhaps someone can explain it to me. At this point I'm going to eventually look at a 20 or 24 gallon when I know what my size of my place will be going forward.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the help. Hopefully the tank will all work out.

tropfish
11-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Beautiful black angel. Also the story that fish only grow with the size of their tank is a myth, fish will keep growing regardless, but they will be stunted, this is not the same and it weakens the fish. Your will be fine until you get at least a 20g tank going.

slinky
11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks tropfish - but will even a 20g be big enough and will this angel just dwarf all the other fish. I had no idea that the angels get HUGE. Compared to the Cory Julii, the molly, platy, and maybe a few danios I may get for the 20, I'm wondering if he'll eat the others or dominate them. Right now he's just hiding in small areas and not leaving. In fact, he won't even go out for a swim, just hangs out in 2 different places staring at something.

Originally the plan was to put a betta in there but it seems that they just don't flourish unless they are in still water. I've heard from others they get weak and more easily get diseases in tanks with moving water and fish. I thought it would be easier just to get one more. I saw some Fancy Guppies (red something or others) that are gorgeous but I heard they are also fragile, die quickly, although they populate (and do they ever so I hear.) Thus it's a tough call. Would love to keep the angel, just don't know if it's possible...

tropfish
11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I would get a 20g with the angel and some tetras, and then keep the 10g how it is except for the angel. could you do that?