PDA

View Full Version : Boesemani rainbows - considering

Knightia
07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Hello all,

For around a month now I've had a 350 litre (121x51x66cm) set up. Heavily planted with the following stock:
7 peppered cories
5 sterbai cories
28 cherry barbs
9 otocinclus

All these fish are bottom half lurkers so I've been looking for something to add for the top. I'm still undecided and, whilst I have a shortlist of species for this role, I'm looking into Boesemani Rainbows.

I'm a bit concerned they're too big and boisterous for a four foot tank so, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

Water is moderately hard to hard. pH is 7.0-7.5. Filtration is about 400% overfiltered.

Thanks.

fishmommie
07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
I considered Bosemanis for my 90 gallon when I set it up but ended up going the cichlid route. From my research on bosemani's, however, I remember that a 4 foot tank is the minimum size because they are such fast swimmers. I think you'd be okay.
My LFS has a 120 gal with bosemanis and congo tetras that's just gorgeous.
Will be eager to see what you decide.

Knightia
07-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks, yes I think that's why I'm hesitant.

Pros:
Very bright and colourful - I don't have anything blue/yellow and they do have that marine wow-factor look about them.
Swim at the top.
Like hard water.

Cons:
Might be too large and boisterous for what I want (peace).
Would easily push my stocking to limit.
I was aiming for lots of small fish in a large tank so this would go against that aim.

Hmmm...I might leave them actually and stick to my original plan of black neon tetra or false penguin tetra and a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or Apistogramma borellii or Laetacara dorsigera (probably the latter).

fishmommie
07-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Just an fyi - the bosemani at my LFS swim at all levels of the tank but the bottom. :o)

Knightia
07-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Hmmm...ok. I've kept dwarf neon rainbows before and they stuck to the top. Assumed the same with these.

steeler58
07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Your probably get tired of hearing me say it; but you should go with your penguin tetra idea, LOL.

But what the heck, a video to help sell you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcQe9XHXC4U&feature=player_detailpage

fishmommie
07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
What a beautiful tank. I think steeler is right. Those penguins are gorgeous!

Knightia
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks both :lol: I think they are still absolutely the top of the list (I've seen that great video before) :smile:

I'm just making sure I've covered every option first. I don't want to stock it with one species and then think, "damn, I wish I'd thought of that species". I'm obsessively and thoroughly checking out every species.:geek: !

I've ruled out anything red as I already have a ton of cherry barbs to cover that base. :lol:

Top of the dwarf cichlid list is Laetacara dorsigera as they seem to be the least aggressive from what I've read so far. The only concern I have with any dwarf cichlid is their habit of digging - I'd like to avoid this if possible.

steeler58
07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
From what I've read about Laetacara dorsigera, they don't seem to have a digging problem. When they spawn, they like a flat surface.

I think I'm going to order a pair (I hope) tommorow when I order my Cory's.

In this video they have more blue highlights in the tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGES0K4SGE&feature=player_detailpage

Knightia
07-28-2013, 06:35 PM
They are stunning. Arguably more insteresting than apistogramma as they are not often seen. Yes I think I'll see about ordering a pair from my LFS. They ship them in from Eastern Europe I think. I'll ask about captive bred ones as I think they may be easier to acclimate.

Sandz
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Have you considered Madagascar Rainbows? They are smaller, have blues, yellows and reds, are great fish for your tank!

As far as appisto species... Rotpunkt? Opal Borelli? Agassizii?

Knightia
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Ooooo, more to look up. Cheers.

With regard to apistos I was looking at the hardiest species, borrellii or cacacoides (sp?)

Sandz
07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Apisto's as long as they are not wild are relative. Cacatoides is super easy imo - pretty - bulky and flashy . Alassizii is the same but brighter.

talldutchie
07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Buddy of mine keeps boesemani in a tank about that size. I'd say it's minimum size. They're a boisterous fish. Good chance they'll send your babrs in a permanent cower.

Sandz
07-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Being that the barbs are the nippier of the two fish, I doubt either will cower to each other. Maybe at first they would be cautious of the size difference, but long term, they would cohabitate well.

Knightia
07-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Cherry barbs are huge scaredy cats so I think dutchie is right.

I've gone back to my penguin tetra idea now. Fickle creature! :wink:

talldutchie
07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Get false penguins. Pretty rare fish and looks very good.

steeler58
07-31-2013, 02:06 AM
They are not too rare in the States, almost every LFS stocks them as well as the big box stores, but still a very lovely fish. I love their unusual swiming style.

talldutchie
07-31-2013, 05:52 AM
In this country real penguins are stocked by almost every shops but false... very hard to find.

Knightia
07-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Here in the UK, Thayeria obliqua are never seen (I've certainly never seen them anyway).

Thayeria boehlkei (false penguins) are very common though.

Amelia
07-31-2013, 08:04 AM
I vote Black Neons over Penguins anyday, but I don't like tightly schooling fish. I want the activity to be all over the tank, not just in one blob.

What about Black Phantom tetras? I never took much notice of them but I saw them the other day in a friends heavily planted tank and they looked AMAZING. Since seeing that they have climbed to the top of my "must-have" schooling fish list.

Also have you considered Thread-fin or Featherfin Rainbows?

And for your cichlids, I really like my Nannacara anomala. :11:

Knightia
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Threadfins are too small and weedy for my liking. I've had them before when they were bought "by accident" by my fiance. I had to rehome them quickly as they were in with Tangs. Whoops.

I don't want any more species that spread out all over the tank - I already have that with my cherry barbs so I'd like a feature group who will add some directional activity. I specifically want a tight-schooling species for this.

Not that keen on black phantoms. I don't really like the look of them, just personal taste, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the cichlid suggestion - will look into that one. :smile:

Amelia
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
If you like the tight-schooling thing then I can't think of anything better than Penguins. My harlequins school quite tightly but they're red. :goldfish:

I do think your tank would look nice with a larger schooling fish though -- what about Giant Danios? I know people hear the word danio and go "EEK no" but they're actually stunning in a nice planted tank. Shimmery blue with yellow stripes.

Knightia
07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Yes I looked at those quite early on. I do like the look of them, but I ruled them out due to their swimming intensity - I was worried they would frighten my barbs (who are totally woolly wusses). This is the reason I've now also ruled out Boesemanis.

Again, great suggestion though so thanks.

Actually - I'm going to head to the LFS this evening to see their penguin tetra so if everything goes to plan I will return home with 10-15 (possibly adding another 10 in a week or two).

bluzepher
08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
can you put them with Harliquin Rasboros? those penguins are really cool

Knightia
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't want more that two schools in this tank so no harlies.

I have the penguins now...they're superb. I'm really pleased with them. I have half the school at the moment with the remainder to be added next week.