PDA

View Full Version : I've got the bug..

rway
07-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just recently joined the hobby/community. It all started last February when my gf and I bought on impulse a Beta fish from our local Wal-Mart. We had him in a large vase but the water would get cloudy after a few days and I got tired of changing it. I then got online and did research to find out that our Beta preferred a much larger tank than the had. So we went and bought a nice Marineland 5 gallon kit and set him up in there with some fake plants. I had such a blast setting it up. It made me remember I had an old 20g and 10g tank at my parents house. So a week later I went and got them. I watched hours of Youtube videos (shout out Dustinsfishtanks) and researched ever day (still do :P) until I bought some plants and equipment to set up my 20g planted tank. It's a low tech planted tank. It looks very nice and I have had great success with the Cardinal Tetras in there, a cherry shrimp, assassin snails, otos, and a Female GBR. I had that for about 5 months and I slowly felt the urge to have a LOT more water! I want to be able to have schools of bigger fish. I got the MTS bad. So I got the $1 a gallon sale 55g from petco a couple weeks ago and have been working on it. I am going to do a High-light, heavily planted tank. I'm nervous but very excited. I'm ballin' on a budget though. I have decent gear for the money I have put into it. Plan to upgrade everything eventually. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here and hope that we can make my new tank a success! Thanks.

Cheers,

-Rway

Stlouisfish
07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Triton
07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Budget is my middle name!

FYI, if you are doing high light, look into aquariumfertilizer.com's Micro/macro fert mix, it will last a very long time (dosing 5ml-6ml per day for you) and also look into metricide 14 (cheaper alternative to seachum flourish excel) and I'd dose about 10ml at first and work up to 15ml per day of that. Also, look into some good root tabs for heavy root feeders

For about $50 all that should last you about a yr (if not more)

rway
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Budget is my middle name!

FYI, if you are doing high light, look into aquariumfertilizer.com's Micro/macro fert mix, it will last a very long time (dosing 5ml-6ml per day for you) and also look into metricide 14 (cheaper alternative to seachum flourish excel) and I'd dose about 10ml at first and work up to 15ml per day of that. Also, look into some good root tabs for heavy root feeders

For about $50 all that should last you about a yr (if not more)

Awesome, That's the kind of information I love. What to buy, where to buy it cheap and how much to use! Thanks so much Hardy85! I will have to post pics of my progress.

Triton
07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
awesome, looking forward to it. Many things in this hobby can be done cheaper then most fish stores lead you too believe...

if it's a general product that could work, the second they label it meant for aquarium use the price doubles.

FinalJenemba
07-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Sweet and welcome to the forum! I have a little experience with high light setups, but not one that big. What are you going to run for Co2? I ran a DIY in my 29g but a 55 is really going to need some kind of injection. Here's a video of the 29 I used to run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQF0qE0y2IY

I loved that tank but it was just so much work keeping the plants trimmed. I had some stuff that would grow inches per week.

Sandz
07-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you should jump right in and get in a journal. Let us know about all your tanks and would love to see pictures!

rway
07-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Right now I am just doing liquid co2 but have been looking into metricide 14 per the advice of Hardy85. When I can afford injected, I will plant more. I love your tank! Hope mine can have the same success. I want a dense jungle!

rway
07-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you should jump right in and get in a journal. Let us know about all your tanks and would love to see pictures!

Thank you! What is this journal you speak of? I will upload some pictures when I get home! I want to take one every week to see the progress :P

Sandz
07-24-2013, 07:48 PM
this section here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=113

eltylT
07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Hello :22:and welcome :19:to the AC.thumbs2:

gronlaura
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
29364 to the AC, the place to be for fishkeeping!

And we do love journals!!!! A journal follows your progress in setting up your tank from start to finish and beyond. Take a look at some of the journal threads. Post any questions, concerns, ideas, etc in the beginner freshwater forum for quicker responses. Good luck!

rway
07-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Thank you so much for all the warm welcomes! Glade to be here. Just tested my water tonight and my tank is cycled. Just a little hard. I'm going to do a good water change tomorrow and I should be ready to stock some by the weekend! :D I will start a journal for sure! Can't wait for the input and feedback.

steeler58
07-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the forum.

gadget228
07-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

rway
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Thank you, Thank you! I have started a Journal (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=113554&p=1168309#post1168309) thread so I hope to see you all there!

Sandz
07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
OooOOOoo already starting to use the html codes? Someones fitting in!

rway
07-25-2013, 07:37 PM
haha. Thanks. Still waiting to get filled in! :18:

edit: the "Still waiting to get filled in" was in reference to your post on my journal page about the inside joke ;)

Triton
07-25-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't even know how to do that :(

Cyberra
07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the community