PDA

View Full Version : Just caught the "bug"

wgoldfarb
07-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone

As I mentioned briefly in my first post in the beginner corner, I got launched into the hobby suddenly and accidentally when my son showed up from school at the end of the year with 4 small orange fishies in a plastic bag (teacher said they were goldfish, but i now know they are "rosy red" fathead minnows). He had volunteered to take them when the tank they were in had to be taken apart for the summer. Not knowing anything I rushed to the closest pet store and bought a small 2.5 gallon tank. Yes, I now know this is woefully inadequate, but at the time I did not know any better. Over the next few days I did aggressive research to educate myself and managed the tank aggressively. I now have a cycled 2.5 gallon tank with 3 fathead minnows. The problem is that all that research and all the images I saw of beautiful aquariums made me really, really want to set up a bigger "real" aquarium. I am an avid scuba diver and I love the water, so I have always had the idea of an aquarium lurking in the back of my mind. It took my son's 4 fathead minnows in a bag to finally make me "dive" into the hobby (pun only slightly intended :hmm3grin2orange: )

I am now in the process of doing some very intensive reading to buy the equipment, decide on my tank's stock, and decide which plants to have. I hope to have my tank set up and cycling (plan to use no fish cycling, but I will add media and gravel from my current tank to get the process jump started) in the next 2-3 weeks or so...

Over the past several days I have been reading the forum intensively. I am impressed by the many knowledgeable people here, and everyone's willingness to help. Hopefully some day I will also know enough to be able to help others!

genocidex
07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
welcome to the AC. im sorry you caught the bug, its something that might plaque you for the rest of your life. sadly they only medicine for it is another tank. that usually will buy you a year or 2 of relief.

wgoldfarb
07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
LOL! Yes, I have been readign about "MTS" syndrome, which I am guessing means something like "more tanks syndrome"

No sure the wife would appreciate a second tank. We are still negotiating about the location of this first one. I want it in the living room, for all to see, she wants it hidden somewhere in the basement...:scry: (Maybe we will compromise: the tank will go in the living room, and she will have me move to the basement). My hope is that once she sees this one, she will like it and hopefully also catch the "bug".

My very ambitious dream is to one day have a large saltwater aquarium. You know, to keep me company in the basement.:hmm3grin2orange:

Slaphppy7
07-15-2013, 09:14 PM
You are close, it's 'multiple tank syndrome"...and like you, if I HAD a basement, that's surely where my wife would decide my next tank needs to be :shappy:

Float-Goat
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Oh god i know the feel, loving my tank but in a way i want more.
Anyway welcome and enjoy the stay, ask alot and you'll learn alot like i do.

gronlaura
07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
LOL! Yes, I have been readign about "MTS" syndrome, which I am guessing means something like "more tanks syndrome"

No sure the wife would appreciate a second tank. We are still negotiating about the location of this first one. I want it in the living room, for all to see, she wants it hidden somewhere in the basement...:scry: (Maybe we will compromise: the tank will go in the living room, and she will have me move to the basement). My hope is that once she sees this one, she will like it and hopefully also catch the "bug".

My very ambitious dream is to one day have a large saltwater aquarium. You know, to keep me company in the basement.:hmm3grin2orange:

Have you met Slaphppy7? Sounds like you guys have a lot in common..........and the same sense of humor! He just bought a 40 breeder. It's in storage, but it will be out soon!!!

wgoldfarb
07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
@gronlaura: No, haven't met him (other than his post above yours), but if we both have the same sense of humor, well, maybe that is why everyone wants us in the basement!

On a (brief) serious note, I really have not yet met many people here, but look forward to it!

gronlaura
07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
@gronlaura: No, haven't met him (other than his post above yours), but if we both have the same sense of humor, well, maybe that is why everyone wants us in the basement!

On a (brief) serious note, I really have not yet met many people here, but look forward to it!

We all meet here, on the forum. Too bad we couldn't have an annual AC Convention! I honestly feel we are a family of fishkeepers. I truly look forward to reading the posts to see who is doing what and how they are doing it.

steeler58
07-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Cliff
07-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the forum

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome... I feel like there is a LOT to learn, and this place is an amazing resource! I look forward to starting my first journal soon. I am actually "biting the bullet" and buying the actual tank tomorrow at PETCO's "$1 per gallon sale", so there is no turning back now!

gronlaura
07-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Bravo! what size are you getting?

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Getting a 29 gallon... seems like a good size to start with. I want to set up a community tank with lots of small schooling fish, and i also want to have it planted with some "easy" beginner plants (Java Fern, Anubias, etc). Already started to do research on fish and plants that will fit my tap water pH and hardness. For now, though, I am mostly focusing on the equipment I need. I posted a (long) post in the setup section asking for feedback on my current choices, so I waiting to hear on exactly what I need (and don't need).

gronlaura
07-16-2013, 04:10 AM
29 gallon is a good tank to start with. be sure to start with the largest tank you possibly can to give you the most options. rather than posting in tank setup, post your questions and ideas in the beginner freshwater forum. more people are signed on here and you will get more and quicker replies.

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Ah! Good suggestion to post in beginner section... I was wondering why that section had so little activity!

gadget228
07-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Ok, it's official. I just came back from Petco with my brand new 29. It is sitting on my desk, eagerly waiting for the rest of its parts!

It's like a blank canvas :)

Slaphppy7
07-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Getting a 29 gallon... seems like a good size to start with. I want to set up a community tank with lots of small schooling fish, and i also want to have it planted with some "easy" beginner plants (Java Fern, Anubias, etc). Already started to do research on fish and plants that will fit my tap water pH and hardness. For now, though, I am mostly focusing on the equipment I need. I posted a (long) post in the setup section asking for feedback on my current choices, so I waiting to hear on exactly what I need (and don't need).

Maybe you could get Cliff to combine the 2 posts, so that we have all your info in one spot...gronlaura is right, stay here in the beginner section, you'll get more replies maybe

FeistyFishy
07-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Congrats on the new tank! Can't wait to see the progress!

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe you could get Cliff to combine the 2 posts, so that we have all your info in one spot...gronlaura is right, stay here in the beginner section, you'll get more replies maybe

I asked him to move the thread to the beginner section, which he did, so it's all good now!

Congrats on the new tank! Can't wait to see the progress!

I t will take me about 2 weeks to purchase everything, i think. I will be out of town at the end of the month for about a week, so I will have 7 days of "dead time". Still, I hope to hit the ground running when I get back in early August. Between now and then i will buy all the equipment and substrate, and as soon as I get back will get the first few plants to start cycling the tank.

Slaphppy7
07-16-2013, 08:23 PM
^^ Sounds like a good plan to me!

Triton
07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
welcome to the forum. MTS is a very serious condition, this just happens to be a support group for many of us... we have yet to find a cure and it seems as though the number of tanks is always growing...

but thats not a problem thumbs2:

I started with a 55 in october, added a 10g in Feb, then two more 10g in may and just swapped the 55 for a 75

gronlaura
07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Any thought yet about filtration? Canister or hang-on-back (HOB)? I am setting up dual 29 gals and am going with Filstar Rena XP-M canisters and Hydor ETH 300W inline heaters. If cost is a factor, an Aquaclear 70 (AC70) HOB filter and an Aqueon Pro Heat 200W heater will do a nice job for you. If possible, order all your equipment online and save big $$$.

wgoldfarb
07-16-2013, 11:11 PM
@gronlaura: yes, I am settled on canister filtration, either an Eheim 2211 or a 2213... the main reason i am considering the 2211 instead of the 2213 is that I read that too much current can be bad for some plants,d helps deplete CO2 from the water, and that a planted tank needs less filtration anyway. Officially the 2211 is rated for 40 gallons so it "should" be enough, but everyone here says to get a filter rated for twice your volume. So, I am not sure what the right level of filtration is.

I also recently saw and LOVED the Hydor inlines. How much wattage do I need for a 29 gallon? I had assumed the 200 Watt was enough, but I see you have 300 watts for your 29s?.

I really want a very clean look, so canister filtration and inline heating takes a lot of clutter out of the tank and out of sight, which I really like. For the same reason i am considering the 21" marinestar hidden led system, although I am reading conflicting info on whether it is enough light for low light plants.

I already have a list of online vendors (actually, you gave the list to me in my very first thread in the beginner section a few days ago!) so I am shopping online intensively :-)

gronlaura
07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
The reason I am looking at the 300W heater is that in the winter I lower my thermostat when I'm not home and overnight. The house gets pretty chilly, like 64-65 degrees. When I'm home it's around 69-70 deg. I need enough wattage to keep the tank at 77 deg, which is a 12-13 deg difference from the lowest room temp. I have two 250w heaters in my 75 gal and no problem with tank temp in the winter. I would rather have the extra wattage and know I won't burn out my heater.

wgoldfarb
07-17-2013, 04:26 AM
I had found this calculator (http://www.kernsanalysis.com/HeaterCalculator.cgi) that suggested I need a heater of 146 watts, but this is for submersible heaters. Are inline heaters and submersibles comparable in terms of heating efficiency ?

The reason I don't want to just get the 300 is that the hose sizes are not compatible with the outlet hoses of the 2213 (Hydor is for a 5/8" hose, and the Eheim uses a 12mm hose, which is about 1/2". I guess I can try getting an adaptor, or just forcing the hose in place with heat, but if the 200 is enough I can avoid all this trouble)

eltylT
07-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Hello and WELCOME the AC. GREATEST FISH SITE EVER .