PDA

View Full Version : Granny Flats

GrannyFlats
07-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah. I joined originally to find out why I need to change the water in my tank. I am still trying to find out.

I have a 150 gal freshwater tank. I use a wet/dry filtration system.

I hope I can learn something.

sheamurai
07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
There's lots here to learn, depending on what you're looking for.

As far as water changes go, it all depends on your definition of "need".

Most folks here want to give their fish the best life and health possible, within the constraints of their life style.

So, fresh water, like fresh air, is a good thing.

However, your fish will not up and die one day because you never changed their water.

There are trace minerals that fish absorb from water, same as we do from sunlight and our own food and water, that can become diminished if not replenished somehow. Water changes are the surest way to do this. Top ups from evaporation may or may not be enough, and using additives can also be used, but water changes are still preferred by most fishkeepers.

Nitrates at high levels can become detrimental. Water changes are the surest way to prevent that from happening. However, every tank is unique, so perhaps some fishkeepers do not need to concern themselves about it - but those who want to be sure, do water changes.

So, while your fish won't die once the magic time period is past, a fish that lives 5 years in one tank may live to 8 or 10 years in another. There's no absolutely proving the reason why that fish lived longer than the other.

Fish keeping maintenance is a personal preference. There are people who want to give their fish the best possible care so hey get the best possible health/colour/longevity for their fish, and there are those people who are happy if their fish survive the year. And then the majority of us that are anywhere in between.
Where you are - and your fish are - in that range is up to you.

Longshot
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
++ explained like a sage.

talldutchie
07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Welcome

I hope I can learn something.

So do I.

steeler58
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, we can all learn something.

gadget228
07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

1corycat
07-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi and welcome to AC

Triton
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
One way to think about the water change is that freshwater bodies have natural water changes happening at all times, either being fed by streams, rainstorms etc

Welcome to the AC, hope you can learn as much as I have