PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my parrots spawning

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Good thing no babies will come of this because this flower pot is loaded with eggs. I never saw a fish spawn upside down so found this interesting.

Excuse the water marks on the glass. Just finished a water change and they were busy and I didn't want to bother them cleaning anymore.

Names are no longer Buttercup and Goldie. They are now Buttercup and Brute.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 01:54 AM
how come you wont get any babies???

very cool BTW. i have never actually saw it happen before either.

TowBoater
10-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Lol, congrats on them, they are sure happy!! They are in fertile just like a mule is.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Lol, congrats on them, they are sure happy!! They are in fertile just like a mule is.
well i know a guy and his are in fertile but he gets a crap load of fry everytime they spawn.

sorry to intrude but i have a little question.....if they are infertile then how do they multiply??? and have fry??

TowBoater
10-30-2007, 02:04 AM
They don't they are a cross unless I am dumb and don't know what I am talking about which is very plausible.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
They don't they are a cross unless I am dumb and don't know what I am talking about which is very plausible.
what do you mean by a cross??

TowBoater
10-30-2007, 02:09 AM
There a cross of different species of cichlids, forgot the combinations.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 02:11 AM
o.....ok.....so hobbs could get fry????

well i am kinda confused right now.....lol.

TowBoater
10-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Well you confused me as well so i don't know either, lol we could not work in a group!!!

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 02:17 AM
hahahah yeah....well its just that i have heard of people saying that the parrots eggs will never hatch because they are infertile....but i have also heard of people with the same species and then them having every spawn of eggs hatch.

so it is just weird.

zackish
10-30-2007, 02:45 AM
That is awesome hobbs.

Incredulous_Ed
10-30-2007, 04:28 AM
squirt....Blood Parrots are a mix between several different cichlids, but only the asian fish farmers only really know the exact mixes. Most of the time, the blood parots are infertile, but as you can imagine, theer has to be some variation with different species being crossed, so some do end up being fertile.

MeganL3985
10-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Good post Ed! :thumb:

Fishalicious
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Definately not my kind of fish (not being rude just honest) :c10: But the spawning pics are awesome.

They are a hyrid cross from the Red Devil & the Redheaded Cichlid

If anyone is really interested in the complete history of the parrot cichlid you can read it here

http://parrotcichlid.com/history.php

On the breeding issue:
Fish breeding researchers have also focused on the topic on whether Red Parrot can naturally produce their own offspring. After five years of research, they have discovered that the male Red Parrot bred from Taiwan could not produce sperm mature enough to penetrate the female Red Parrots' eggs. In even worse cases, many of these male Red Parrot could not produce any sperm at all. The only successful breeding technique rests on crossbreeding between male Red Parrot from Taiwan and female Red Parrot from South America. This has proved the importance of selecting the fertile male Red Parrot to produce their normal offspring.

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Good post.

They don't want us to know what the parents of these fish are. There's good money in the import of them and like KFC, their "receipt" is a well-kept secret.

I mostly read it's a cross between the gold severum and the Red Devil which is why they are generally either gold or red.

Another "possibility" are the Midas Cichlid and the Redhead Cichlid. Now we are beginning to see the calico blood parrot so that species has to come from another pairing of ____ and ___?

I believe so far it's been mostly guesswork on our part since our information all comes from the web and what others have posted on the web. We may never really know for sure what the parents are or if it is even more than one group producing the parrot. Frankly, we are left with only guesses and theories.

I also doubt they do not want to produce pairs that will mate. Again, less money for them.

As long as a pair mates up to produce this fish, the fish is healthy and happy and can eat well and live long, then I have no problem with them. The dyed ones are horrid as are all dyed fish.

They certainly are friendlier than my angelfish were. *grrrrr*

MeganL3985
10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I love parrots, regardless of the fact they're hybrid. They just have the cutest little faces. :) lol

sergo
10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
damned genetic splicing asians. if they were a natural occuring fish they would be fertile. although i have read that some now have become fertile but not many.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
ok...thanks for all of the info everyone...so now i understand how they reproduce...thanks.

Fishalicious
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
ok...thanks for all of the info everyone...so now i understand how they reproduce...thanks.

Don't you mean 'don't reproduce' hehehehehe :hmm3grin2orange:

tropfish
10-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hobbs i'm mad at you..you can have 2 bp's and i can only have one.... haha

Congrats on them spawning, they must be really happy!

Breeding:
Females are able to produce eggs, while 99.99% of males are infertile. I think they'res only been 2 recorded BP x BP spawn ever.

Ocellatus
10-30-2007, 08:12 PM
congrats lady hobbs!

if i find some free time i will try to pair off one of my female parrots with my male red devil! i should stand on them and watch because if the red devil doesn't accept her, he will probably kill that poor parrot easily. but if he accept, female eggs can be fertilized.

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Not much to congratulate me about since they won't have fry but if they are happy enough to spawn, then I'm happy too. Means they are stress free, eating well and have good water conditions.

RichBowyer
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Very cool pics hobbs. That oughta put the "leaks" behind you.

Ocellatus
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
well lady if you ask my opinion i would say its not always a sign of happiness.
in an ordinary point of view we say that yeah sure they are happy that they are spawning. and in fact i'm sure that yours are happy cuz you provide them the best condition, but what about mine? my parrots are spawning in my non-cycled tank in a little space with lots of threats. are they happy? or are they trying to save their generation?
theres something in their nature that make them spawn. make them try to save their race even in worst condition. thats my view.

squirt_12
10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
!Breeding:
Females are able to produce eggs, while 99.99% of males are infertile. I think they'res only been 2 recorded BP x BP spawn ever.
i think that there are more than that becasue i know a guy that that is like the only fish he has and he gets tons of fry everytime they spawn.

tropfish
11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
i think that there are more than that becasue i know a guy that that is like the only fish he has and he gets tons of fry everytime they spawn.

They're only been two nationally recorded spawns, they're obviously more then 2, but not recorded in fish clubs and such.

2manyfish
11-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Congrats on your fish spawning Hobbs! :thumb: I have always taken spawning activity as a good thing - that the fish are healthy and that conditions are good enough for them to spawn.

As far as the BP's heritage I've heard everything from red devil x serevum, midas x serevum, midas x the real parrot cichlid, etc, etc, etc...

I have also heard that it isn't a hybrid at all but rather that when a pair of midas cichlids spawn the eggs are removed and placed in a tank with a chemical called selenium. This causes the fry to be deformed and most of the males will also become infertile.

I do know that the female BP's are fertile as that is how you get the jellybean BP. Female BP x convict hybrid. Many of your flowerhorns have BP blood in them as do the red texas cichlid.

Regardless I love my BP....tons of personality to them!
Even if you don't have a fertile pair at least you can watch their spawning behavior...just watch your hands when they're getting ready!! :c10: