PDA

View Full Version : Frequency feeding veggies?

DrNic
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Been a while since I've posted but I've got a question regarding the frequency I should be feeding my pleco veggies. Normally he get's algae pellets every 1-2 nights which are fed after dark so the other fish don't get them first (he also grinds my java ferns into dust during the day). I put in some zucchini in for the first time earlier in the week and he seemed to like it. By the next evening when I removed the piece there was a perfectly round pleco sized dent in it which was kind of funny to see. Clearly he's eating the stuff but I wasn't sure how often I should add it. Some sites say weekly or bi-weekly but I was looking for additional info. The fish in question is about 4-5 inches now and has been in my 75G about a year or so. Thanks for the help!! :-)

Sandz
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Normally fresh veggies are good to go until you start seeing a discoloration. I used to blanche veggies when I fed them prior. Its weird to see the veggies lasting so long though. Normally a day or so and its gone. 1 time a week though is all I would feed.

Triton
07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I feed my two young BN plecos a 2" diameter piece about 1/2" think of zucchini and I just leave it for about 3 days, they usually leave no trace of it in the tank. And I wait about a day from the last time i saw any, till i feed again

DrNic
07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
There was definitely some minor fogging after 24 hours. I was a little afraid to leave it in longer than that, although I think I used a bigger piece than I should of.

gronlaura
07-10-2013, 11:15 PM
MY BNPs loved broccoli. I fed it every 3 days and it was gone within 24 hours. I didn't blanch it, just put it in raw. It was their veggie of choice.