PDA

View Full Version : are there any fruit/veggies my rcs shouldnt eat?

genocidex
06-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I have a massive spill over of radishes, and i wont be able to eat them all myself so i can prep and freeze them if i want them for my shrimp. Can they eat them? Are there any veggies i should stay away from feeding them?

Taurus
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Blanched spinach. Spinach has calcium in it. I would not feed radishes to shrimp.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/cherry-shrimp-feeding.php

genocidex
06-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I feed then kale, mushrooms, zuchini, cucumber, and carrots as a main source of food. Kale i think is higher calcium than spinach lol. Also they have a small piece of cuttlefish bone to chew on so to speak lol. I guess ill find a better use for those radishes thanks

talldutchie
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Why not? I see no reason not to feed radish.

genocidex
06-27-2013, 08:10 PM
I know alot of mammals have issues with them, specially the smaller ones like rabits. I think radishes have a bit of a kick and i didnt know if it would foul my water or kill my shimp lol

Taurus
06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
That was my thought as well genocidex. Maybe I'm being over concerned, but I'd find out for sure before I'd feed them any radishes with a kick. And you're right about kale having more calcium than spinach...lol..didn't think about that.

talldutchie
06-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Each to his own I suppose. When looking at the breakdown of a radish I don't see anything offending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish#Nutritional_value

Taurus
06-28-2013, 02:10 PM
"The bulb of the radish is usually eaten raw, although tougher specimens can be steamed. The raw flesh has a crisp texture and a pungent, peppery flavor, caused by glucosinolates and the enzyme myrosinase which combine when chewed to form allyl isothiocyanates, also present in mustard, horseradish, and wasabi."

Well, this is the part that bothers me. Again, maybe I'm worried about nothing. But I'd certainly want to talk with someone that had feed radishes to RCS before to see what kind of experience they had. TD, if you've feed radishes before to RCS and they suffered no ill effects, you should just say so.

talldutchie
06-28-2013, 04:32 PM
I haven't. Don't grow ghem myself and we hardly ever buy them

talldutchie
06-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Went out for a bit yesterday and there was radish on the salad bar. The shrimp aren't very keen on it but they are eating it.

genocidex
06-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Thanks for feild testing them for us XD. Ive been overly cautious about my rcs, seems like my hydra killed off the majority of my females.... And the population is down. Hoping better food will help them breed a little easier.

talldutchie
06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Based on my own observations... temp between 25 and 26.5C. Varied diet, veg, carrot especially alternated with a more protein rich food like shrimp pellets or bits of cory wafer.