PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows in my Community?

Amelia
06-22-2013, 03:47 AM
I have been looking for quite a while for something to add to my 65g planted community to give it some real OOMPH, if you get my drift. It currently contains 40 neon tetras, 16 harlequin rasbora, 2 golden dwarf cichlids and a bunch of kuhli loaches.

The idea of Rainbowfish recently occured to me. Boeseman's Rainbows are available regularly in my area, but I was hoping to get my hands on a group of Red Rainbowfish, or a combination of both.

This stocklist checked out on AqAdvisor as not being overstocked, but it seems like a lot to me. I'd really love some input on school size for Rainbows (4 or 6?), whether different Rainbow species will school together, whether Rainbows will eat neons, whether I should get 2 species or just one, etc. Or if anyone has any reasons why I SHOULDN'T get rainbows feel free to voice them, or any alternatives you may have.

- 4-6 Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)
- 4-6 Boeseman's Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
- 20 Neon Tetras
- 10 Kuhli Loaches
- 2 Golden Dwarf Cichlids

Here's a picture of my tank.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/996184_10151541040973505_1556246496_n.jpg

fishmommie
06-22-2013, 02:15 PM
i think that sounds like a great stocking plan and I'd go for 6 of each type of rainbow. I'd go for it.

Amelia
06-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks! I emailed a FS in the north island today and asked them how much it would set me back for them to ship 6 red rainbows down to me. I haven't heard back yet. I can get boeseman's at my LFS.

Still debating whether to just get reds or do both. or just the Boes if reds are gunna turn out to be too pricy.

If I just go with the reds, was thinking sell my harleys and keep my big school of neons.

If I just go with Boes was thinking of selling the neons and harleys and opting for a lovely big school of serpaes to give the tank some vivid red.

fishmommie
06-22-2013, 02:50 PM
I have long fin serpeas and love them. so colorful and a lot of movement. Mine have been very hardy as well.

Amelia
06-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I've always wanted to try serpaes. Also for some reason they're super cheap here, like $4 each compared to most tetras being around the $7-$10 mark. That's excluding big fancy one's like colombians and bleeding hearts which are usually around $18.

Longshot
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I have 2 boesemani's, they are happy - keep trying to spawn. they don't bother anyone and noone bothers them. their mouths are big but their throats are tiny, so I don't foresee them trying to eat your neons, not to mention they are only going to get about 3 inches or so long. $18 dollars each?! I just bought 7 red and blue columbians for $19. I almost forgot that it is expensive living the island life, importation and all.

jaysee
06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Boesmani can attain 5 inches.

The Irian reds and the boesmanis will not school together, in my experience. They are not of the same genus.

In a smaller tank like that you will likely see the boesmanis school with other melanotaenia rainbows. However, in a larger tank (6 foot) the rainbows rarely school together - each school does its own thing.

In your tank I would just do one species.

Male Reds in my area cost $25 each.

Longshot
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I respectfully offer the information that they CAN reach 5 inches as an exception to the general size of 3 inches (OR SO...ISH) as an average.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+886+1053&pcatid=1053
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Boesemani.htm
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/melanotaenia%20boesemani.html.
I am not saying that they never get larger.
They are also herbivores, not piscivores, so there isn't a concern with them eating your neons despite their eventual size- if they were to get 5 feet.

Amelia
06-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Dunno if I want a 5-foot Boesemani. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm just gunna go with one school.

steeler58
06-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Here's an old favorite that stays small; Melanotaenia maccullochi, very underated IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=04WLvegnymA

skullduggery1
06-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Our bedroom aquarium has four Irian red rainbows and four turquoise rainbows in it.They all school together with each other and with five dennisons barbs.(rose line sharks)This has been going on for three years now.

jaysee
06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Our bedroom aquarium has four Irian red rainbows and four turquoise rainbows in it.They all school together with each other and with five dennisons barbs.(rose line sharks)This has been going on for three years now.

What size tank?

skullduggery1
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
This configuration is taking place in a 65 gallon.It has live plants and gets a water change(25%)twice a month.

jaysee
06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
This configuration is taking place in a 65 gallon.It has live plants and gets a water change(25%)twice a month.

Yeah, tank size has a lot to do with behavior. My various rainbow species schooled together in a 4 foot tank. Once I put them in a 6 foot tank, they stopped - each school does it's own thing.

bethyMT
06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
My boseman males are each a good five inches. The dominant male is often the biggest, with the others staying a bit smaller. My tank is a four footer, 55 gallons, and I think I'm lucky in the way that they do not pace the tank like greyhounds. They are very peaceful fish for me.

In a happy tank I don't think they even school much. Mine don't. But you can't underestimate the sizes of these guys. My old girl Australian rainbow, before I lost her, measured a full six inches(including finnage of course).

Anyway, I know this thread is a bit old....I hope you found a stocking plan that works for you. Rainbows of any kind are fabulous centerpieces to longer tanks.