PDA

View Full Version : Think I can get a random shrimp colony established in my 65?

Fishkeeper
06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a 65 gallon tank that's going to have a decent number of plants, and I was wondering if I could get a shrimp colony established. I don't care what kind, maybe some sort of cherry relative, nothing fancy of course. The tank will have:
3 female bettas
1 gold gourami
5 misc cories
1 twig catfish
1 rubberlip pleco
2 sun nerite snails

Also, I'm going to have a bunch of small schooling fish, although I don't know exactly how many. It'll be:
A decent school of pygmy cories
A decent number of pencilfish
A decent amount of neon tetras

Think some shrimp will multiply in here? I don't care what kind, just as long as they won't eat my others and they're fairly active.

Also, anyone know where I can get shrimp cheap? Even muddy brown mutt ones. I'm just interested in shrimp, I don't care what they look like, I even like the muddy ones. Anyone have some mutts for sale?

Sandz
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
The catfish will eat them... the bettas and all wouldnt be to bad on them... Maybe is going to be the answer from everyone. Also you have to create a hiding area for them to breed and repopulate the colony...

talldutchie
06-19-2013, 08:43 PM
What? The twig catfish? I really doubt that.

Triton
06-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I can tell you based on my experience that the red cherries in my 55 were doing ok, not great but ok.... that was till this weekend when 1 ram decided to try one and since then the entire population has been wiped out by all the fish - including the corys ganging up on them..

If you can get some free or cheap to try go ahead, but eventually the fish that have big enough mouths will realize that they could be food and will enjoy them

Sandz
06-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Ya know you are probably right Dutchie... Its a sucker mouthed cat but I have heard stories. I am more thinking young shrimp than anything.

Fishkeeper
06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Alright, I might just throw some decent-sized ghost shrimp in there. My bettas stalk those, but don't attack them. They just stare like creepy little things...

Strider199
06-19-2013, 11:07 PM
If you have a descent amount of java moss and some plants in the tank, keep the fish fed, some shrimp will survive and if the water conditions are right and there is plenty of food for the shrimp, they will reproduce. I dumped my cherry shrimp into my sons community tank (mainly tetras with cories and rasboras), and the shrimp are still doing well after some 6 months. Keeping the young ones out of the filter intakes is a must. Prefilter sponges help alot.

Fishkeeper
06-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Alright, thanks. Do you know anyone who's selling random mutt shrimpies?

korith
06-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Red cherry shrimp are probably your best bet if you want them to breed. Though like others said they may end up as food, once the fish learn to think of them as such. Ghost shrimp you can buy cheaper, sometimes sold as feeder shrimp or other similar names for 10 for $2 or something like that. They won't breed in your tank, but you could buy a fair number of them cheap and they are larger than the red cherry shrimp.

How about gammarus shrimp also known as scuds? They are 2mm or so in size, look like little bugs. Often used as live food for fry/fish, they breed easily and feed off anything.

Fishkeeper
06-20-2013, 01:38 AM
My LFS sells ghosts for 15 cents apiece, which is a pretty good bargain. I might have to consider that... They have random kinds of the shrimp that are usually called 'ghost shrimps', and apparently one of these species is something else that can breed in freshwater.

I've heard that scuds can go nuts in your tank and gobble your plants, and I'm really more interested in shrimp that I can see are shrimp, not buggy things.

madagascariensis
06-20-2013, 01:40 AM
The gammarus feed off anything as in anything. They might not be the absolute best choice if the tank is to have live plants. I've heard stories of them getting introduced accidentally, multiplying like crazy and then ravaging plants once their original food source ran out.

EDIT: whoops looks like you just realized that yourself.

Fishkeeper
06-20-2013, 02:32 AM
The tank is definitely going to have live plants. Scuds are nice 'till they eat all your plants up.

My ghosts pick at moss now and then, but they don't really eat it.

korith
06-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Yep it's true they can get out of control. I kept them in a plastic bin and just dump plant trimmings and other random stuff to feed them. Mainly use them for feeding. Fish and fry do real well with live foods.

talldutchie
06-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Ya know you are probably right Dutchie... Its a sucker mouthed cat but I have heard stories. I am more thinking young shrimp than anything.

Young are fair game for just about anything. Shrimp do really well in my tank where the biggest fish is the group of harlequins. Those will start hunting shrimplets when they're hungry but can't take adolescent shrimp.
I think if you got the cover and you start with a dozen there's a good chance (but no certainty) that something like a cherry shrimp will establish a colony.

Fishkeeper
07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm planning to get a lot of random mutt cherries and put them in there, then just hope they can breed without all the babies getting eaten. I might stash some in a breeder net just in case.

genocidex
07-07-2013, 04:59 AM
not sure if it was posted yet, but the bn could potentially eat some of the rcs, i doubt they would eat the adults but babies could be a prime snack . BNs are omnivores after all. and neons are micor predators, they will eat anything that will at least half fit in their mouths. thats why many people use them as live barer's population control.

now here comes the onslaught of BNs not eating the RCS....