PDA

View Full Version : what kind of shrimp?

Kaga's Kritters
10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Alright, my son wants some shrimp in one of our tanks. I was planning on putting them in the 29gal. Its a community tank, but has fish such as serpaes in it that are a little nippy. I am looking for something interesting, but not too expensive. I haven't seen much for shrimp around me, but may be able to get a lfs to order in some. I have seen bamboo shrimp at the local petco. my other lfs had some sort of shrimp, although I cannot remember the name. i can find ghost shrimp by the dozens, but they don't seem to last long. we want something a little more interesting and hardy. i am located in the US so it needs to be something that can be found here. thanks.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Bamboo are your best choice since they get large, snails are also good for kids.

Kaga's Kritters
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
we already have some mystery snails....i'll do some research on the bamboo shrimp, thanks.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 11:18 PM
No problem, as long as you have smaller fish and leave a spot were only he can get after he molts then he will be fine, if he molts and goes to the middle of the tank as mine did with cichlids, they will attack him.

Kaga's Kritters
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
yea i have small tetras in my tank, nothing aggressive enough to just attack him.

msjinkzd
10-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I would go for cherry shrimp, i have a ton of them in my 36g community and they are thriving. I must add, however, that I have a huge afro of java moss on driftwood for them to hide out in. Cherries are usually about $1 a piece, brightly colored, and easy to keep.

Kaga's Kritters
10-29-2007, 12:00 AM
i have never seen cherry shrimp where i live.

msjinkzd
10-29-2007, 12:26 AM
you could look at www.petshrimp.com or there are several people that sell on other forums (not sure of the rules about posting links to other forums). If you are really interested I could send you a pm with a link.

Kaga's Kritters
10-29-2007, 12:43 AM
its hard to find shipping costs that aren't way to much, lol. i'll check it out though

Kaga's Kritters
10-29-2007, 12:47 AM
just checked them out. found out they are good breeders. i dont want overrun by shrimp so maybe they are not for me.

Dancin Mike
10-29-2007, 03:08 AM
They have More predators than most items, and a simple snack for most items. they good scavengers and wont hurt a thing. they neat if you have various places for them to hide.

squirt_12
10-29-2007, 03:23 AM
ok these are the only ones that i know of:
algae shrimp
cherry shrimp
flower shrimp (filter feeders)
rudolph shrimp (very cool....needs places to climp on)
bumblebee shrimp
chameleon shrimp (will hide in a planted tank)
red-clawed shrimp
ivory shrimp
bamboo shrimp (already mentioned)
rock shrimp

Ok well thats all i know of....but my favourite out of all of those would have to be the rudolph shrimp. It would catch a kids eye.
Good luck in which you choose.

Dancin Mike
10-29-2007, 04:54 AM
i like a number of those myself, just have to keep in mind other items thats in there, so they wont get ate. some of those shrimp can be a lil pricey, dont want you to loose out before its even in the tank 5 minutes, i learn the hard way, haha.

chump!!!

squirt_12
10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
i like a number of those myself, just have to keep in mind other items thats in there, so they wont get ate. some of those shrimp can be a lil pricey, dont want you to loose out before its even in the tank 5 minutes, i learn the hard way, haha.

chump!!!
yeah i know....i bought like 12 ghost shrimp (very cheap) and within 10 minutes of putting them into my tank i never saw them again.

i also forgot another one:
amano shrimp

amano shrimp are good if you DO NOT want them to multiply because their "zoes" (baby shrimp) have to go through stages in SALTWATER to develope into a shrimp so they wont survive in a freshwater aquarium. But the actually shrimp will survive in freshwater.

msjinkzd
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
although cherries are prolific, they are inexpensive, colorful and add very little bioload to the tank. They also help keep the bottom of the tank clean and munch algae. The baby shrimp are likely to be eaten by your fish so overpopulation is a slim chance.

squirt_12
10-29-2007, 03:03 PM
although cherries are prolific, they are inexpensive, colorful and add very little bioload to the tank. They also help keep the bottom of the tank clean and munch algae. The baby shrimp are likely to be eaten by your fish so overpopulation is a slim chance.
very true....very true....the only way the baby shrimp are going to survive is if you have heavily planted tank....or a species only tank with just cherry shrimp.
Now you may have the odd 1 or 2 here and there survive but thats not going to make a difference. If you get too many then you can sell them or give them away.

CAF
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Cherries are the way to go and if you have enough moss, they will breed and thrive, otherwise the fish will eat the little ones... I have cherries in most of my tanks... :thumb:

Azear
10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Anybody have hear of Crimson shrimps? they are huge (about 2") and brownish red color. I've seen some at only 1 LFS and couldn't find anymore... tho they were very pricey (like 20$Can each...) btw, would it be risky to add huge shrimp with small tetra/guppy ? I mean... risky for the tetra ? :P

squirt_12
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Anybody have hear of Crimson shrimps? they are huge (about 2") and brownish red color. I've seen some at only 1 LFS and couldn't find anymore... tho they were very pricey (like 20$Can each...) btw, would it be risky to add huge shrimp with small tetra/guppy ? I mean... risky for the tetra ? :P
i have never heard of that before....i wouldn't think that they would eat fish...but i am not 100% sure......i have also heard of the blue shrimp but i would say that they are too big to put into a tank with lots of fish.