PDA

View Full Version : What size pump to run tank?

EDDIE110171
07-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 5 gallon wet/dry filter. The current pump is a submergible Rio which I am not happy with the life span. How many gallons an hour do I really need? It is currently freshwater but, I would still like the option to switch back to salt. My 2 current top choices are the Mag 5 and Mag 7 from Mag Drive. Any other suggestions?

William
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
You forgot to give us a very important piece of info. Which fish are you going to keep in the tank.

bswick
07-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I had the same question, glad I used "search".

I have a 2 tanks I am preparing to setup one 30 gallon long one 55 gallon.
Both will be community tanks with fish from Amazon region (tetras, angels, guarami's). How many gph would I need for each tank?

Thanks

William
07-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi Bswick.
2-3 times that water volume an hour is usually good for a amazon setup such as you suggest.

I might add that gouramis are not found in the amazon region.

bswick
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Doh, been out of the hobby too long I guess.
Thanks for the Info.

EDDIE110171
07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
You forgot to give us a very important piece of info. Which fish are you going to keep in the tank.
It is currently a community freshwater tank with mostly rainbows, but I still want the option to go back to saltwater.

William
07-22-2006, 12:48 AM
I am no expert on saltwater but a saltwater setup need considerable more filtration that a freshwater one. Your setup now will do good with a 120-180 gallon/hour filter but you would likely need a larger if you decide to turn back to salt water. . A filter that works in both types of setups would be much more expensive and if you think you will keep it as a fresh water tank for 1 year or so it can be better to get a cheaper oine just for freshwater now and get one suitable for the salt setup you want when you decide to geta salt setup.

EDDIE110171
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
(Snip)...A filter that works in both types of setups would be much more expensive...
I have a filter for both salt and fresh since the tank was previously salt. What I need is a pump that is capable of both, for salt water I thought the rule was 10x per hour but I am not sure, what is the general rule for fresh or is there one.

William
07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
There isn't really one single thumb as fish from a river prefer very different current conditions than fish from lakes but 2-3 times/hour could be said to be a role of thumb for community tanks.