PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Sick_bound
06-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Just introducing myself. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and am a university student. I'm somewhat new to the hobby, but am advancing very quickly. I currently own a 72 gallon bowfront aquarium; it's completely cycled and currently has 9 Colombian tetra, 8 corys, and an albino bristlenose pleco. The tank is heavily planted and has several pieces of driftwood, with plenty of hiding places.
I thoroughly enjoy fish and am looking to expand my current community.

MandyK
06-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Sick_bound
06-17-2013, 04:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9eSRdWwBAY

Here's a video of my tank!

Cyberra
06-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the community

gadget228
06-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

talldutchie
06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Welcome indeed! Err... (blush) sorry but... any chance of a closeup of that plant on the wood and the one in the small flowerpot? I'm worried they're not true aquatics.

Sick_bound
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Welcome indeed! Err... (blush) sorry but... any chance of a closeup of that plant on the wood and the one in the small flowerpot? I'm worried they're not true aquatics.

The plant in the flowerpot is some bamboo species. I originally thought the plant on the wood was an anubias species, but I'm reconsidering, as it is not doing very well. I am going to plant it into another flowerpot, I think. Here is a video, in either case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsTDbML0aQs&feature=youtu.be

gronlaura
06-17-2013, 10:21 PM
28954 to the AC! Nice tank.

talldutchie
06-18-2013, 05:27 AM
I'm getting old and grumpy, I really don't like videos for this.

Anyway... sorry to say so but what I see around 0:12 makes me wonder if it's not some variety of ficus. The potted plant is a Dracaena braunii or lucky bamboo. That can live partially aquatic for a long time but needs to have leaf above the water. So the second isn't a suitable plant, the first might not be.

Problem is, some aquatic plants suppliers also sell to the repto crowd. Shops are sometimes to careless or stupid to distinguish between aquarium and terrarium plants. A terrarium plant can live submerged for some time but will eventually go mushy and start to rot which fouls up your water.

steeler58
06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, nice tank.

Sick_bound
06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm getting old and grumpy, I really don't like videos for this.

Anyway... sorry to say so but what I see around 0:12 makes me wonder if it's not some variety of ficus. The potted plant is a Dracaena braunii or lucky bamboo. That can live partially aquatic for a long time but needs to have leaf above the water. So the second isn't a suitable plant, the first might not be.

Problem is, some aquatic plants suppliers also sell to the repto crowd. Shops are sometimes to careless or stupid to distinguish between aquarium and terrarium plants. A terrarium plant can live submerged for some time but will eventually go mushy and start to rot which fouls up your water.

Funny, because both of those plants came in the same pot from Petco (when I first started the hobby--haven't bought much from them since). I'll take the dracaena out. Do I basically take care of it like typical land plants? I recently planted the second one in the substrate and it seems to be doing a bit better. I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the help.

Meanwhile, here is my updated tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0opV0Q4gQ

talldutchie
06-18-2013, 09:09 AM
The first I'm unsure about. The second, yes a typical land plant. Likes a good drink but don't drown it. I've seen bigger ones in betta tanks where the leafs could grow out of the water and they were fine with that.