PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

Flyby Stardancer
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I just had an idea as I was cleaning out my tank and equipment today...

Would those little plastic buckets that other plants come in make a good anchoring point for Anubias and Java Fern? If so, what about attaching a few together with silicone to make a tower?

madagascariensis
06-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't think that the roots of those plants would be able to hold on to plastic.

Flyby Stardancer
06-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Okay, since the ability to hold onto plastic itself is in question... I'll just give the plants something else to hang onto while using the plastic buckets as framework. I just sealed together three buckets for a framework. Tomorrow I'll attach some pebbles for plants to grip.

And this has me almost wishing I was in a ceramics class again... I have ideas for aquarium pieces that would be good caves, but also suitable for covering with plants...

talldutchie
06-17-2013, 05:22 AM
I just had an idea as I was cleaning out my tank and equipment today...

Would those little plastic buckets that other plants come in make a good anchoring point for Anubias and Java Fern? If so, what about attaching a few together with silicone to make a tower?

That will work but you may want to glue the plant on. Personally I think it wouldn't look very nice.

Flyby Stardancer
06-17-2013, 05:38 AM
I want to use it to fill up a back corner, and try to get it so that the ferns eventually block view of the frame.

talldutchie
06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Personally I'd try to find a nice piece of wood. Even artificial or petrified wood would, in my opinion, look better.

Flyby Stardancer
06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
My tank's too small for it, sadly. Every piece I've seen requires at least a 10 gallon tank, and even then those that small are artificial and have a rough texture.

And if I don't like the look, I can always dismantle it. The pots and gravel are leftovers from last time I had this tank set up.

Triton
06-17-2013, 12:39 PM
I think it will look bad at first... but once the plants grow in, it should be ok. Kinda like using wire mesh, but just recycling what you have at your disposal

bethyMT
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
WRT wood: do you have a saw? You can chop up a smaller piece to make smaller chunks if you want to. Also, somebody on ebay was settling small pieces of Mopani in a set of three for pretty cheap. I'd hate for you to set up that system you have and then hate it.

But, recycling is awesome, and I hope it works if you try it! I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't look OK after a while. Java ferns are pretty slow growing though, unless you add ferts, and then growth is medium. You can also tie java ferns to large pebbles...my small tanks have a lot of those.

Flyby Stardancer
06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
No saw for me. :( Well, there probably is one out in that mess of a garage, but I have no idea where and it's best to not go poking around. lol

I know it'll look a bit of a mess while the plants are still small, and I'm willing to wait for them to fill it in. I can't see how it would be devestatingly bad once it's filled in.

madagascariensis
06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
The is nothing wrong with trying it out. You can always dismantle later if it turns out to be ugly. I would not recommend sawing a piece of aquarium wood unless it is a thin branch like manzanita. Wood used for aquariums (malaysian, mopane, etc)is so dense that it sinks in water. This density and hardness is inversely proportional with the ease of sawing as I have found out for myself.

SueD
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Good for you for trying to recycle materials you have. But, if it doesn't work out here is a place that has some great nano driftwood. It's cypress which is a soft, light wood, but many come with stone anchors to attach.

http://www.amazonmoosey.com/swampwoodnanodriftwood.htm