PDA

View Full Version : Stem Plants/Bunch Plants???

Ghpr13
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I guess my first question would be are "stem plants" the same as "bunch plants"?
Second, is why can't I grow them? Every "bunch" plant I have bought has always died on me. Yet my Amazon Swords and my Java plants are doing great. They're taking a little time to grow, but they are growing and have nice looking leaves on them.
I bought some Chinese Ivy, it was beautiful when I got it...full, bright green, large bunches, (I bought 2 bunches,) but now it thinning
out and looking kind of scraggly.
I use all purpose fert tabs from AquariumPlants.com, and I just started using Flourish Excel™ and Flourish Iron™. I'm hoping that will help. My fluorescent light is on about 10/12 hours a day. My fish aren't picking at them, from what I can tell. Like I said, I haven't been able to keep any bunch plants alive, and it's a bit frustrating. Is there's something I'm missing or doing wrong?
This is the Chinese Ivy, from what I can tell.

Ghpr13:scry:

madagascariensis
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
stem plants are the same as bunch plants. the first name comes from the fact that they don't have bulbs/rhizomes nor form rosettes, the second name comes from the fact that the stems of these plants are sold in bunches.
are you separating out the bunches too? they aren't supposed to be planted in bunches. if they are planted like that the plant's roots overcrowd and die. you are supposed to separate them out and plant the stems singly or maybe as twosomes or threesomes depending on species.

Ghpr13
06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
stem plants are the same as bunch plants. the first name comes from the fact that they don't have bulbs/rhizomes nor form rosettes, the second name comes from the fact that the stems of these plants are sold in bunches.
are you separating out the bunches too? they aren't supposed to be planted in bunches. if they are planted like that the plant's roots overcrowd and die. you are supposed to separate them out and plant the stems singly or maybe as twosomes or threesomes depending on species.

That I didn't know. I've always planted them as a bunch. That could be the cause of my problems. I will replant the Chinese Ivy I have now and separate the stems. One other question, how do you keep them in the substrate? Even when I planted them in bunches, a few always slipped out and floated to the top of the water.
Thanks madagascariensis.
Ghpr13:)

ijankrom
06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
One other question, how do you keep them in the substrate? Even when I planted them in bunches, a few always slipped out and floated to the top of the water.
Thanks madagascariensis.

Weights!! If you have a local PetSmart near by you can go and ask for several weights for your live plants. Their probably give them to you for free. You just wrap them around the base of the plant and give them a little squeeze.

talldutchie
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
A few pebbles also work.

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I throw the whole bunch in the tank and within a week or two at the most, they will have roots already and then I plant them.

Ghpr13
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
I throw the whole bunch in the tank and within a week or two at the most, they will have roots already and then I plant them.

Thanks Lady Hobbs. I like your way and I think I'm going to try that.