PDA

View Full Version : My Firemouth 18/7

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Hiding. He (?) and the featherfin are having quite a go at trying to get the same cave. Featherfin worked so hard to get it just right for himself and along come the firemouth and stole it. He got himself in there sideways and I was afraid he was trapped so dug it out a bit more for him.

I have given them 100 places to hide but they like the same spot.

I need to get him some tankmates so he will come out of hiding more. He doesn't come out to eat even and I'm worried about him. I haven't seen him eat since I got him over a week ago!!

I found out from the guy that I got him from that he was not raised with the parrots. Parrots always picked on him so he was raised with other fish.

PS.......No, my background does not look this weird under normal lights. Looks almost black until the flash hits it and then turns weird.

Rue
10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
...lol...prime real estate draws a lot of competition for ownership...:hmm3grin2orange:

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Yea he looks like he has been in a few fights from the looks of his tail. What have you been feeding?

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I never noticed his tail until you mentioned it! That would have been from the parrots, then, as they are the only fish that's been after him. Don't know as they can bite tails tho. He doesn't come out of hiding long enough for me to even see what he looks like.

He did fine with the silver dollars but they spook so easily that they end up scaring him to death in the process. I thought of picking up some tiger barbs today but read one place they are not compatible and the next site says they can be kept together. Another site says the convict can go with them and the next site says no.

I have given blood worms, krill, flakes and pellets. Given.......I have not seen them taken. I may feed him at night before I shut the lights off. He may eat better then until he gets over this shyness.
I am not nuts about tiger barbs myself and would prefer cherry barbs but doubt they'd work either.

tropfish
10-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Tiger barbs would work fine, they're actually recommended as dithers for many CA/SA cichlids because they're fast and large enough not to be eaten, just get a group larger then 6 to stop them from nipping other fish.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Try frozen variety, they usually get them to eat.

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I tossed my platies in his tank and got 6 giant danios today and 8 tiger barbs. However, the barbs were sooooo small that I didn't have the heart to leave them in his tank and removed them so they could grow some. I swear they must sell fish sometimes that can't be 3 weeks old.

And guess what they had at the store? Firemouths. A whole gaggle of them crammed in a 10 gallon tank. I almost weakened and bought some more but just know that would lead to breed, fighting, etc.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Your older firemouth would kill them. I have a male that isn't much older at all then a female I have and he bothers her a lot although I have a big enough tank with plenty of hiding places for her to hide.

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2007, 12:31 AM
I guess he would. I also removed the platies. He was fine today with them but why chance it. Night time is a time for hunting so I got nervous and pulled them out.

TowBoater
10-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Mine sleep at night so he may not.