PDA

View Full Version : Playing Dead

oscarfish21
10-28-2007, 01:39 PM
so, i have an oscar has been "sick" for a week have done everything and tank itself is fine, my friend had told me that oscars will play dead when they're sacred does anyone know the symptoms of this? we had moved the tank last week and that is when the sickness began. since learning this i have shut off the lights in the tank and am not disturbing the tank at all does anyone have any other advice and a list of symptoms so that i can be sure

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
oscars usually do that after water changes too. they lay on their sides and all you can see is theyre eyes move and their gills pump

2manyfish
10-28-2007, 11:09 PM
How far did you move the tank? Like from one room to another, or across town? Can you post the actual numbers from your test kit? How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank? Any other tankmates?

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Please, 2manyfish has what we need stated.

crackatinny
10-29-2007, 07:27 AM
When you moved the tank, did you clean all the gravel decor filter etc?

S13DWS
10-29-2007, 07:35 AM
did you accidentally kill the fish when you moved the tank?
Lol just kidding... man! do fish really play dead? Ive heard of possum and those wierd goats that fall over when you open umbrellas next to them (theres a vid on you tube of it i think) but never fish playing dead!

deckard_wa
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
did you accidentally kill the fish when you moved the tank?
Lol just kidding... man! do fish really play dead? Ive heard of possum and those wierd goats that fall over when you open umbrellas next to them (theres a vid on you tube of it i think) but never fish playing dead!

Parachromis Freidrichstalii play dead as a hunting technique to lure unsuspecting prey. I'm sure others do it too

cocoa_pleco
10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
and south american leaffish kinda act dead by pretending their a dead leaf. i used to have one but i got rid of him